View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
I'm a 56 year old man. And I'm certain that I did something, said something or was tangentially evolved in something 25 to 35 years ago that by today's standards would be offense. But things change, and social mores change. And I'm very uncomfortable that we are going to bring out actions from 35, 45, 55? years ago, judge them by today's standards and take action on them.
There are people in jail for crimes they committed 35, 45, 55 years ago, and people with permanent criminal records for things they did 35, 45, and 55 years ago. There are people killed by the state, either executed or 'shot while resisting' for things they did 35, 45, or 55 years ago. Also, why is there NOW so much wailing and gnashing of teeth about how you can't hold someone accountable for 40-year-old actions or things they did when they were college aged, instead of back when politicians started accusing opponents of being draft dodgers? If you really shouldn't be held accountable for decisions you made at 18, shouldn't 'draft dodging' stop being mentioned at all.

There's a pretty big gap between anything that 'would by today's standards be offensive' and 'wearing a kkk outfit and/or blackface for a yearbook photo, and doing it so often you don't even remember which incident of blackface/kkk photo this one is'. And there's a pretty big gap between saying 'yeah, I was pretty awful back in those days, but I've changed' and 'I apologiz... I mean, that's not me, it must be someone else, yeah, that's the ticket'.