View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
I wonder, though, does dark skin protect one from cancer-causing damage done by UV light?
Only somewhat, as has been said already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazle Weatherfield View Post
That's strange. I was under the impression that black people could, indeed, sunburn and needed to wear sunscreen every bit as much as light-skinned people.
Maybe not as much - if my skin hasn't seen sun for several months, like in the spring, it only takes 15-20 minutes in direct sunlight for me to start to burn. The average black person, even an African American with a relatively light skin tone, isn't gone to start crisping up that quickly. But I've had several black friends who discovered the hard way that "sunburn" really is an actual burn and not a joke. A couple of them achieved 2nd degree sunburn (that's blisters) when vacationing in tropical places, possibly because they had never burned before and were unfamiliar with the hazard and early warning signs you are having a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmonwakin View Post
In my younger years, I was absolutely oblivious to what a sunburn was. I spent all of my days as a child baking in the sun from Japan to California. It wasn't until sometime around the age of 17-18 I experienced my first sunburn in Florida. I absolutely thought something was medically wrong with me. It was horrible I must admit. I constantly thought I had received some sort of chemical burn and finally went to the doctor.......needless to say, I felt pretty stupid once told it was just a sunburn.
Yeah, but if you haven't had to deal with one before....

On the other hand, sunburn is why I spend all summer dashing from tree to tree and keeping to the shade. My complexion has been described as "vampiric".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
I suspect the main reason why melanoma are more dangerous to black folk is they don't wear sunscreen. My people don't either (including me, and I live in Florida).
I think it can also be harder to spot on dark skin, at least in the early stages, and they don't perceive it as a risk. A little like how a lot of people seem unaware that men can get breast cancer. Sure, on average the risk isn't very high but when it does happen it's just as dangerous as when it happens to someone with a higher apparent risk, and if you ignore it (It can't happen to me, that must be something else!) yes, it can kill you.

Or, as we were saying back in 1981, just ask Bob Marley about skin cancer in black people...