View Single Post
Old 07-01-2000, 02:58 PM

Chronos said:
Quote:
I'd agree about the bell curve thing, although there are a few "disorders" which tend to corellate with higher
intelligence-- ADD, autism, and dyslexia, for instance. Still, there's no reason we shouldn't have a special name
for the upper tail of the bell curve, is there?
Actually, while it's been pointed out that the majority of children with autism are not gifted, the disorder you may be referring to is 'high functioning autism', also known as Asperger's Syndrome (spelling may be incorrect, I don't have any references here). There is some debate over whether this is actually a form of autism or not, but it does have some similar characteristics, and it has also been said that a lot of these children (and later, adults) are gifted.

I do some clinical-assistant type work with a child with Asperger's, and the resemblance to typical autism is hard to pick out at first. He interacts with people, but has an inability to express interpersonal emotion in a constructive manner. He can be very aggressive, but has difficulty explaining why he's angry. He has a good head for science, but finds language arts very difficult. He doesn't understand personal interactions with any certainty, and sees most interactions between the opposite sexes as sexual in nature (unless he's involved, because he can understand his own motives). Basically he can't figure out what other people are thinking or feeling, no matter if they are characters in a play or his classmates.

There has been some talk over whether Asperger's is correlated with high intelligence, and to be perfectly honest, I do not feel qualified to make any statements. In my limited experience, people with Asperger's are definitely not gifted in the area of literature, because of an inability to grasp the more subtle elements.

I don't know enough about dyslexia to make a qualified answer.

And I'm not touching the ADD/ADHD discussion with a ten foot pole.

FunkDaddy.