View Single Post
Old 05-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Some of this has snuck into the US media before, but admittedly not that much or that often:

Piece from Dec 03 Washington Monthly:
Quote:
Simone Ledeen is serving her country. She is the daughter of Michael Ledeen, the Iran-Contra luminary, AEI scholar, and all-around capo in the neocon mafia. She's 29, a freshly-minted M.B.A., with little to no experience in war-torn countries. But as an advisor for northern Iraq at the Ministry of Finance in Baghdad, she is, in essence, helping shape one quarter of that nation's economy.

When the history of the occupation of Iraq is written, there will be many factors to point to when explaining the post-conquest descent into chaos and disorder, from the melting away of Saddam's army to the Pentagon's failure to make adequate plans for the occupation. But historians will also consider the lack of experience and abundant political connections of the hundreds of American bureaucrats sent to Baghdad to run Iraq through the Coalition Provisional Authority.
Seattle Times, April 5 2004:
Quote:
Coalition press office is heavy with Republicans

By Jim Krane
The Associated Press

BAGHDAD, Iraq Inside the marble-floored palace hall that serves as the press office of the U.S.-led coalition, Republican Party operatives lead a team of Americans who promote mostly good news about Iraq.
Dan Senor, a former press secretary for Spencer Abraham, the former Michigan Republican senator who's now energy secretary, heads the office packed with former Bush campaign workers, political appointees and ex-Capitol Hill staff members.

More than one-third of the U.S. civilian workers in the press office have GOP ties, running an enterprise that critics see as an outpost of Bush's re-election effort.
Since that was an AP-written story, it got published in a number of US papers.

There was also something over the winter that galled me enough that I have a clear recollection of starting a thread I can't seem to find: a mention in a news story of CPA staffers leaving Iraq in substantial numbers to join the Bush campaign. This nearly coincided with one of the stories of troops' having their deployments extended, and I remember that was part of what fired me up - that the kids in the Green Zone had 'other priorities', as our veep might've put it, when the troops who probably also had other priorities weren't being given much of a choice. Especially when the Green Zone types felt that Bush's election campaign was more important to them than a job that was a national priority of the highest order. Wish I could find that thread, but I'm turning up a blank. I even remember one of the responses, so I'm having a hard time believing I meant to post it but didn't.