View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
I didn't mean to bias opinions so much in favor of urban fantasy, though I appreciate all the recommendations. I like other genres, and haven't read any urban fantasy other than the Dresden Files.

I'm going to start Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for my next, more involved read.
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is a great book. I know it was only published eight years ago but I think it's going to be one of the classics of the fantasy genre and something that people will still be reading a hundred years from now.

Other fantasy recommendations, out of the urban fantasy sub-genre:

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold. I just reread this one (I picked up a copy at a library sale). Bujold's mainly known for her science fiction but she's also written several fantasy novels. This one, in my opinion, is her best. A good central character and a tightly-woven plot.

Devil's Tower and Devil's Engine by Mark Sumner. Excellent mixture of the fantasy and western genres. The central premise is the Civil War caused a major necromantic event which caused civilization to collapse in the old west. The books are set twenty years later showing how people are coping with a Old West where magic works. So you have gunfights that use spells and sheriffs that are wizards.