View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
In the context of the primary, the focus would be on what Lucy Flores and others are saying.

In the context of the general election, I think there's this vicious cycle where so many are hung up on perceived hypocrisy in elites who moralize while not caring to practice what they preach, and they (those hung up on this) care more about that than weighing how grievous individual faults are to put it politely. The trolls will call him a pedophile and anything else with no shame. Biden has given some speeches in the last year or two where he has referenced men abusing power in personal and violating ways. I could see him getting flack for this inconsistency in word and action with those who matter ...
As for the primary voters question ... I'm not so sure. Reasonable analysis here while we wait for post-kerfluffle polling.
Quote:
Biden has a history of doing and saying cringe-worthy things but, for whatever reason, most Democratic voters aren’t yet cringing.

Flores’ and Lappos’ stories and the clamor they’ve ignited are unlikely to change that. Biden has already faced serious questions about a host of his past positions that look downright conservative by today’s standards, including his mishandling of the Anita Hill-Clarence Thomas hearings, something he’s expressed regret over but has nonetheless not actually apologized directly for to Hill. And yet he’s been the polling leader for the 2020 nomination pretty much since Hillary Clinton lost in 2016.

While some voters will now rethink things, it’s hard to imagine that those most likely to sour on him were on the Biden train to begin with. Biden’s base is old—much older than the other septuagenarian in the race, as CNN data analyst Henry Enten documented:

The available polling suggests that older voters are less receptive than younger ones to taking these kinds of charges seriously. ...

... And then there’s the backlash to consider, whereby some voters actually rally to Biden’s defense. Consider, for instance, the response from Theda Skocpol, a 71-year-old Harvard political scientist, who made it clear she has no interest in a circular firing squad with Donald Trump in the White House. “Is this the kind of society we want to live in—where right-wingers can do any vicious thing they want to anyone and shrug it off, while people on the center-left are supposed to expel from public life anyone who says a single wrong word or has done something benignly intended in the past that now does not fit changed norms?” she wrote in a letter to the Times. “Not me, that is not the kind of America I want to live in. That is not the kind of Democratic primary I want to participate in.” ...
TL/DNR? This bit will hold the most salience to those who were unlikely to choose Biden already and mean little, or even rally to him, many who are already ranking him their number one choice. (Which the author regrets to be the case.)

But I'm interested in hearing a more detailed discussion from you about "those who matter". Assuming you are agreeing that those are the same three groups I identified, Obama-Trump, Romney-Clinton, and Black voters, which of them do you think are most prone to change support in a race against Trump based on a campaign pegging him as having "inconsistency in word and action"? Is there any particular reason you think that?