View Single Post
  #9  
Old 03-01-2016, 03:35 PM
umop ap!sdn umop ap!sdn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hellizona
Posts: 2,227
Your voltmeter reads zero because electricity is following the path of least resistance, i.e. through the copper plate with its negligible resistance, and not through the meter. Even if you had used a resistor, you could still cause the resistor and/or the battery to overheat if the resistance is too low because the amperage would be too high.