View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 10:28 AM

I don't really like fantasy either... besides the one-dimensional characters, I get bored of the same mythologies repeated ad nauseum from book to book. I like it when people invent something new. I already know what elves, halflings, goblins, dragons, trolls, and sorcerors do; I like worlds in which these things don't exist or are markedly different from the kind I've been exposed to.

I recently started the His Dark Materials trilogy (beginning with The Golden Compass) by Philip Pullman, and I adore it. Its protagonist is a 10 or 11-year-old girl, grown up as a bit of a heathen, whose life begins to change drastically when she hears of something called Dust and children start disappearing. She slowly begins to find out that she's going to play a significant part in a world-changing series of events, with the help of a golden compass, but she doesn't know what exactly that part is. The fantasy elements are unfamiliar and fascinating, but not overwhelming; the book is just full of the wonderment and uncertainty of a child on the brink of something enormous... and I think it's technically for "young adults", but to me it really doesn't seem watered down. My only regret is that I don't have more time to read it.

Last edited by nevermore; 07-26-2007 at 10:29 AM.