View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Dennis
I enjoyed all of those things, but the puzzle/mystery angle is probably what made me a fan.
Ah, well, I don't know of any other fantasy that does this like Harry Potter does, and I think that's one big reason for its enormous popularity. I'd like to know where I can get more of that sort of thing myself: fantasy with the clever plotting and the keep-you-guessing mysteries that HP has. (Perhaps the biggest Harry Potter fan I know personally is a person who "doesn't read fantasy" and whose favorite genre of recreational reading is mysteries.)

I'm thinking there might be some of this sort of thing in Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber, but it's been too long since I've read them for me to say for sure. And maybe some of Diana Wynne Jones's books.

And Dan Brown's books, which I find easier to swallow if I think of it as a fantasy, set in an alternate world in which some of the ludicrous liberties he takes are actually reality.

And Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday has mystery aspects, but it does not have the reality or depth of characterization you're looking for.
Quote:
Plus I liked the fact that the main characters were drawn with enough depth for me to relate to them and care about their well-being. I enjoy some books with one-dimensional characters as long as the plot is good enough to compensate, but for the most part I like to feel as if I'm reading about real people.
I'd say there's plenty of fantasy that does this (though also plenty that doesn't).