View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Dennis
I enjoyed all of those things, but the puzzle/mystery angle is probably what made me a fan. Plus I liked the fact that the main characters were drawn with enough depth for me to relate to them and care about their well-being. I enjoy some books with one-dimensional characters as long as the plot is good enough to compensate, but for the most part I like to feel as if I'm reading about real people.
It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I'll second George R. R. Martin's Song of Fire & Ice series as a good one if you're looking for compelling multi-faceted characters. The author does strive to create a fully-realized world, which means world lore will be thrust upon you from time to time, but I find Martin's prose much more readable (and less rambling) than Tolkein's. It's not a mystery filled with puzzles, but the political maneuverings satisfy my itch for cleverness and analysis, and characters do often find themselves in difficult situations that could be solved with a (often political) puzzle-like solution (they often don't hit upon the correct one, though!).