View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Benedict Jacka has started a series based on the character of Alex Verus. Verus is a magician/investigator like Harry Dresden. There are three books in the series so far: Fated, Cursed, and Taken. I've only read the first one but it was pretty good.

Another possibility is Justin Gustainis's Occult Crime Unit Investigation books. They're about Sgt Stan Markowski of the Supernatural Crimes Squad of the Scranton PD. The series is based on the idea that supernatural beings like vampires, werewolves, wizards, etc are living openly in human society and special police units have been set up to deal with crimes related to them. There are two books in the series so far: Hard Spell and Evil Dark.
I enjoyed Jacka's stuff and just about the same time I discovered him I also discovered Peter Grant, who has a series that I feel falls within the genre.

One of the things that hooked me: in Jacka's first novel he does a shout-out to Butcher. It was fun.

(And I've read every one of Cook's.)

I also like the Iron Druid series.

Lastly, even though it isn't in the same genre, I will strongly recommend Butcher's other series, The Codex Alera which I really enjoyed. The first one was very slow and I almost put it down, but once I got through it, I liked the others very much. There is a fun little anecdote about it. Youtube video.