View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I finished it the other day, and enjoyed it. A good story of its kind, very readable, and with a satisfying ending.

Question: Is the title "The Traveler" a deliberate parallel to "The Martian"? (In some ways it's a similar kind of story, as the book itself implies.)
I honestly don't know. The title just suggested itself and seemed right. There are other books with that title out there, but I wasn't worried about confusion.

Certainly the parallels occurred to me, and when I described the book to potential agents I made the comparison*. But I really was inspired much more by Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and L. Sprague de Camp's Lest Darkness Fall. I still have not yet actually read Andrew Weir's book.

*I sent the book out to -- no lie -- over 350 agents. That's 350 targeted agents -- ones who have expressed an interest in this type of book, or who I had reason to think might handle one like this. I didn't send it willy-nilly to any agent, or any YA agent. None of them were interested, except one who liked it up until the ending. "Would you be interested if I changed the ending?" I asked. "No," they replied. So I found a publisher on my own. That's three books so far I've had published without an agent.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 11-13-2019 at 08:12 AM.