View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendish Astronaut View Post
Perhaps this is a larger conversation for another thread but I've never thought of 1984 as science fiction. It's merely set in the future. And it turns out that Asimov agrees with me!: http://www.newworker.org/ncptrory/1984.htm
And Margaret Atwood doesn't think she's written any science fiction! Thanks for the link to the article.

For the purposes of this thread, let's say that we'll just follow the generally accepted definition of what constitutes science fiction.

Suggestions so far:

William Gibson, Neuromancer - It's on the list
Vernor Vinge, A Light Upon the Deep - Do you mean A Fire Upon the Deep? I'm considering it, but it may get bumped down.
Isaac Asimov, Foundation - On the list, with a note that the whole trilogy should be included.
AE Van Vogt, Voyage of the Space Beagle - Not sure this is really top-50
Arthur C. Clarke, Childhood's End - This would be my choice for one of Clarke's 3 spots.
C. J. Cherryh, Downbelow Station - Currently grouped in second tier.
Iain Banks, Use of Weapons - I have no Banks on the list right now. Why this one, especially since it looks like the 3rd in a series?

Alfred Bester, The Stars My Destination - On the list
Robert Heinlein Double Star - With only 3 slots for Heinlein, there are others I'd call more essential.
Samuel R. Delany Dhalgren or The Einstein Intersection - I'm not quite sure what to do about Delany!
Edgar Pangbourn, Davy - Essential to the post-apoc subgenre, but I'm not sure it makes the top 50 as a whole.
John Wyndham, The Day of the Triffids - Same as above, sadly.
Jasper fforde, Shades of Grey - Haven't heard of it before now. I'm going to read it for sure, but I can't see that it's essential.
Andreas Eschbach, The Carpet Makers - Another that doesn't seem essential.

The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch - Philip K Dick - Other Dick works will probably fill the top spots.

Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash and The Diamond Age - Ah yes, the Stephenson problem! He needs to be on the list, but I'm not sure which to choose. I'm leaning towards Snow Crash and possibly one other.
Larry Niven, Ringworld - On the list.