View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert163 View Post
by whose standards?
Mine, for one. If that doesn't convince you, there are plenty of novels and stories recognized as science fiction don't involve space, aliens, or time travel. Even popular science fiction films don't always have such-- consider The Matrix and Inception.

As for the list, I applaud the decision to omit SiaSL. It's probably not even RAH's best-known novel any more-- Starship Troopers probably has that honor, due to the film and TV adaptations. Science fiction authors who seek to emulate Heinlein no longer, as far as I can tell, emulate SiaSL. John Varley appears to emulate the juvies, actually. I don't deny that the book was influential in the 60's, though.

Speaking of Heinlein's juvies, I'm partial to Tunnel in the Sky and would rate it above The Past Through Tomorrow. I'd not mind seeing Heinlein limited to two titles, though, and would suggest that two is a better limit than three, as it adds room for scope but still allows masters to be recognized.

However, Greenbean's list has a lot of honorable choices-- Wells, Shelley, Verne, and so on, books I don't particularly like but understand appearing on the list. Maybe SiaSL should be on there for similar reasons.

I'd like to commend Gene Wolfe to the list, although my suggestion would be The Shadow of the Torturer, which is probably too far toward the fantasy end of the speculative spectrum.

I'd also suggest that Card be limited to Ender's Game.

Stanislaw Lem strikes me as a noticeable omission, although I'm not really a fan of his work.

Speaking of Varley, I'm partial to his stuff and would suggest Titan, the starting point of his Gaea Trilogy. His Hugo and Nebula wins were for novellas and short stories, though.

Edit: remembered Poul Anderson-- maybe Tau Zero, although it's been a long time since I read it. I'm fond of Brain Wave as well.

Last edited by Dave Hartwick; 04-29-2014 at 06:52 AM.