View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
And Margaret Atwood doesn't think she's written any science fiction! Thanks for the link to the article.

For the purposes of this thread, let's say that we'll just follow the generally accepted definition of what constitutes science fiction.

Suggestions so far:

William Gibson, Neuromancer - It's on the list
Vernor Vinge, A Light Upon the Deep - Do you mean A Fire Upon the Deep? I'm considering it, but it may get bumped down.
Yep, A Fire Upon The Deep. Its concept of an interstellar internet functioning as an audience for all that happens was brilliant, I thought.

Quote:
Isaac Asimov, Foundation - On the list, with a note that the whole trilogy should be included.
I'd be OK with the whole trilogy but not any of those that came after.

Quote:
AE Van Vogt, Voyage of the Space Beagle - Not sure this is really top-50
Van Vogt was an original thinker who knew how to tell a story. Don't let that disgruntled fanboy Damon Knight fool you.

Quote:
Iain Banks, Use of Weapons - I have no Banks on the list right now. Why this one, especially since it looks like the 3rd in a series?
Well, first of all, the Culture novels are not a series, they're all written as stand-alones. You don't have to know jack-squat about any of the other novels to enjoy one of them. I chose Use of Weapons because it's a very good representation of how the Culture deals with non-Culture societies, and it had some VERY powerful character development. Any of his other strong Culture novels would make the list. "Consider Phlebas" about the Idiran war or Excession about an encounter with an artifact whose technology is well in advance of the Culture's, would also work just fine.

Quote:
Samuel R. Delany Dhalgren or The Einstein Intersection - I'm not quite sure what to do about Delany!
I've TRIED to read Delaney, but I find him hopelessly dull.

Last edited by Evil Captor; 04-28-2014 at 01:24 PM.