View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Born 1961, always had my own bedroom [except for the couple of years I was in boarding school, that is.] We were never allowed to eat in our bedrooms unless we were bedridden-sick, though a glass of water was OK. We had a 'playroom', my brother and I each had a toy chest and bookshelves of our own - and not the plethora of toys that kids of the 70s and 80s seem to have had. We were raised to pick up after ourselves, and we also didn't have huge wardrobes - 3 or 4 dressy sets mainly for holidays or formalish occasions like out to fancy dinner. We had school clothes - most of my years I had specific uniforms, and typically 5 sets of uniforms and 3 sets of athletic gear for phys ed classes and team uniforms for sports. I had 4 or 5 sets of 'play clothes; for hanging around being a kid, and 3 or 4 swimsuits. I started doing my own laundry when I was 10, and kept my room tidy though Mom did the vacuuming and dusting. To this day I can clean just fine, I simply hate to do it. Mom had maids off and on over the years, but I still had to keep my stuff picked up. We turned the play room into a tv and hang out room when we grew out of toys.