View Single Post
Old 11-24-2002, 11:00 PM

As noted, the early Bond films followed the lots. [BDoctor No[/B], in the main, did. From Russia wth Love was pretty close, too, but SPECTRE asn't in t -- it was just Russia vs. the West (and the LEKTOR code machine was called SPECTOR n the novel).

Goldfinger was pretty close, but the movie actually improved on the book, both in making the criminals less of comic-book villains, and in making the resolution of the plot more believable (I won't spoil this -- read the book and compare to the film).

Thunderball was pretty close to the book, too, although there was no pilo switch in the book -- the movie added an extra complication there. In the book Col. Petacchi was simply bribed.

You Only Live Twice was the first movie to depart noticeably from the book -- and t did so almost completely. This my have something to do with the fact that Fleming had died by this time.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service, on the other hand, was a eturn to the Fleming novel, right down to the tragic ending. Despite what some say, I think this s one of the best Bond flicks.

After this point, however, the books depart considerably from the films. The two have ittle in common, aside from one or two points. The book Diamonds are Forever, for instance, features a mud bath and action in Vegas and diamond smuggling, but that's reall bout it for similarity. Live and Let Die has even less in common with its souce. The backstory of Scaramanga in The Man with the Golden Gun is on the mark, but everything else in the film is fantasy.

I'v heard that Fleming forbade them from filming the novl o The Spy who Loved Me, only letting the title b used. There's no similarity at all. I suspect they would'v made t completely different in any case.Moonraker doesn't resemble the book at all.

So it was a pleasant surprise when For Your Eyes Only came out and was incredibl faithful to the book.Well, to two f the stories in hat is really a anthology of four -- the titular "For Your Eyes Only" and "Risico". And I think it's telling that this was the best Bond film in years. They tried the same thing with Octopussy, but chickened out after the first half or so. The backstory about "Octopussy's" father was in the book, as was the auction of the Faberge egg (from the short story "Property of a Lady"), but the rest was just silly.

After that, it got silly agan, with [BA View to a Kill[/B] being "Siliconfinger" instead of anything from a book. Timothy Dalton' first outing, The Living Daylights, borrowed elements from short story of that name, but changing it ll completely. After that, the only Bond film o use any elements from a book was License to Kill, which had Felix Leiter attacked by a roc (an incident whih happened in the book "Live and Let Die").
From time to time they talk about adapting someone else's Bond books -- Kingsley Amis' "Colonel sun", or the novels by John Gardner (I as hoped and suggested that his first Bond novel, "License Renewed", would be the bass of "License to Kill", but it didn't happen.)