View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
I'm of the personal opinion that it's incoherent to think that full human reaction and interaction can be achieved by a so-called "zombie" - the mere act of observing the world, interpreting the world, and reacting to the world in an ongoing and consistent way requires that the entity be aware of its environs, itself, and its opinions and memories, in the same way that a car needs some sort of engine to run. (Could be a hemi, could be a hamster wheel, but it's gotta be something.)
I just remembered why i didn't like the zombie idea, because it requires the person to be identical except for experience.

But what I was picturing in my mind was that the operational attributes of the brain (e.g. modeling the environment, making decisions towards a goal, etc.) can be independent of the conscious experience, if the conscious experience is just a layer above that maybe only influences deciding on the goal (for example).

Responding to your post:
There are examples where people seem to operate correctly in their environment but don't have awareness (e.g. sleep walking).