View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I remember traveling Europe in the mid-90s, then settling and living there from '98-'03. Mexican food, or what people thought of as Mexican or (more likely) Tex-Mex food, was pretty grim there. Hell, even the myriad ways people could fuck-up something as simple as an American hamburger.

Luckily, with the advent of Youtube and cultural knowledge spreading via the Internet, things really have gotten much better. Last time I visited Budapest, one could actually find masa harina and even huitlacoche on sale in specialty stores. (Budapest was odd, because it actually did have a very decent Tex-Mex restaurant even back in the 90s, started by some Mexican-Hungarian expat, I believe, from Texas. Like you could get decent Mexican style chorizo there. I was impressed, because everywhere else I'd been in Europe, it was more like the link from the blog above, and Central/Eastern Europe was the last place I'd've expected to find a good Tex-Mex joint in Europe.)
My daughter lives in Italy and travels frequently in her job (she is director for international marketing for Eataly, I believe Chicago has a store). She has commented on several very good taco places in Europe. One in London, if I recall, and the other surprisingly in Copenhagen. She has also encountered a few places that offer Mexican products such as masa harina. On our visits to Italy we have found it difficult to find quality ingredients. My wife and daughter always invite the Italian family and friends for a Mexican meal and it is a challenge to find the needed items. Our suitcases are always at the maximum weight allowed due things like tequila, canned and dried chiles, achiote, bottled sauces, masa harina, tostadas, tortillas, dried beans and other goodies.

My wife's cochinita pibil was one of the most popular dishes among the Italians.