View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 10:33 PM

The nahuatl word was tomatl but there were different names for different varieties. Tomate verde, tomate de càscara or just tomate is what you'll hear here in Jalisco and nearby states and in the south. I think tomatillo is maybe used more in north Mèxico. Then there are miltomates or tomate milpero which grow among the corn or calabaza plants. They are usually a lot smaller in size and have a sweeter flavor. My mother and my wife both preferred the miltomate when making a salsa cruda. My grandfather used to plant corn and miltomate on some land he owned outside of Guadalajara. They would use a method called "a voleo" where they tossed the seeds randomly, I think scatter is the right word. We were always treated to a really good pozole verde made with the miltomate and fresh corn (not dry maiz pozolero that you may know) at harvest.

Jitomate comes from the nahuatl xitomatl. I would say either jitomate verde or jitomate no maduro for green tomato. But to confuse you even more, large tomato producers will often use the word tomate for tomato. I don't know of any dishes that use green tomatoes. I asked my wife who is very knowledgeable on traditional cooking and she said she didn't know of any but there may be dishes in other parts of the country that use them.