View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
Well, I don't need to tell you that Obama is just as much "white" as he is "black,"
Nitpick. While genealogists haven't found a white ancestor for Obama's father, Obama's mother is almost certainly 11-gt granddaughter of John Punch, a black slave. This would make the 44th President 50.0061% black and only 49.9939% white.

BTW, John Punch wasn't just some miscellaneous slave; he has the "distinction" of being called the "first black slave" in the American colonies! His legal status was the same as two white men, but justice was dispensed unequally:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Governor's Council, pronouncing sentence in 1640 on three servants who had fled from the planter to whom they were indentured

Whereas Hugh Gwyn hath by order from this Board brought back from Maryland three servants formerly run away from the said Gwyn, the court doth therefore order that the said three servants shall receive the punishment of whipping and have thirty stripes apiece. One called Victor, a Dutchman, the other a Scotchman called James Gregory, shall first serve out their times with their master according to their Indentures, and one whole year apiece after the time of their service is expired by their said indentures in recompense of his loss sustained by their absence, and after that service to their said master is expired, to serve the colony for three whole years apiece. And that the third being a negro named John Punch shall serve his said master or his assigns for the time of his natural life here or elsewhere.[