View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Espaces Du Sommeil View Post
A couple of months ago, I started a thread on piano concertos. The list included only works that are considered standard repertoire and have been recorded dozens of times over decades by the greatest pianists of the 20th century. I thought that folks here would be familiar with all, or at least most, of them. How naďve. To my astonishment, several dopers confessed that they knew none of the works in the list. Some only had a vague idea of a couple of them. Now, the reason for this was simple: I didn't realize that these works are basic knowledge to me, and the people who, not only enjoy, but actually spend hours each week listening to classical music. So, in my opinion, there's no way you could possibly mix up a Mozart concerto with one by Bartók. But for some people, it's just snotty piano music with bleeping instruments in the background and for most, something they just aren't interested in enough to pay attention.
This is why, with no snark intended and all respect for the OP, any time someone thinks there's anything wrong with any reason to have not consumed X piece of art/media, they might as well be holding a bright neon sign above their head that flashes "My perspective is blinded by my own interests!"

Maybe The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, etc etc are all great, amazing TV, that break new ground in this "renaissance" of the art form (or, at least some of them are), but this has no bearing on whether you or I "ought" to watch/like them, or bother to make time for them. There is more culture out there than you can shake a stick at by multiple factors of 10, and no one has time for it all.