View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
I don't think that's fair. "Boobs and beheadings", as someone mentions later in the thread, is closer to accurate. But fairly few of the most memorable scenes in GoT's history include dragons, and fewer still include nudity.

Massive spoilers for all seasons of GoT:
SPOILER:

Far and away the defining moment of season 1 is Ned being beheaded. That has nothing to do with either tits or dragons. Probably the defining moment of the entire series, so far, is the Red Wedding. Again, no tits, no dragons.

A few highlights do include tits and/or dragons:
-Dany walks unharmed from the fire with baby dragons (both tits and dragons)
-Dany's dragons kill the masters and she "steals" the unsullied (dragons)
-Drogon rescues Dany from the arena (dragons)
-Shadow baby, general Melisandre nudity (tits)
-Cersei's walk of shame (tits, although not salaciously, which makes the scene all the more powerful)

Many of the series-highlight-moments include violence or death, actually:
-Oberyn fights The Mountain
-Horde of zombies attack Wildling city
-Arya's dancing master beats the crap out of a bunch of city guardsmen
-Joffrey dies
-Tyrion kills Tywin
-Jon is betrayed and murdered (and brought back to life)
-Battle of the Bastards
-Hold the Door

But there are also a number of fantastic moments which include none of the above:
-Robert and Cersei talk about their marriage, and how their hatred has grown to boredom
-Jaime and Brienne become friends
-The Hound and Arya become friends
-Pretty much everything Tyrion ever says or does, particularly his speech when he's on trial for Joffrey's murder, and the story of his first "marriage"
-Pretty much Olenna Tyrell ever says or does
-The play-within-a-show retelling the recent history of Westeros which Arya watches while training to be a faceless man
-The Hound becomes friends with first Sansa and then Arya (granted, there is violence along the way, but the memorable part is his character development and their bonding)

...and so much more.

Game of Thrones is a show with sex and violence and dragons. At times, it leans heavily on them, particularly with the "sexposition" in the early seasons. But it's also a show with an incredible roster of richly drawn characters, impeccable acting, wonderful dialog, and a very human story being told on an unprecedented epic scale.

If it's not to your taste, fine. There are plenty of people I like and respect who I wouldn't recommend it to. And for that matter I'm not necessarily claiming it's "high art", depending on how you define that. But to dismiss it as just "tits and dragons" is flat out preposterous.
Suffice it to say, I think you are greatly overestimating the artistic merits of Game of Thrones. I'm a fan of both the show and the books, but let's not pretend they are more than just well made escapist fluff. There are good guys and cartoonishly bad guys and Dany's story line as the white savior of the brown people is racist enough to be straight from a 1930s Tarzan movie. It is fun escapist pap. There's nothing wrong with that, but let's not get carried away with it's artistic and cultural impact.