View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw View Post
Without any disrespect to African-Americans, the names I am asking about are the ones that in the last 25 years or so have surfaced with odd to me spellings and unknown origins.
Some examples are-
Jedeveoon, Bonquisha,Tanisha, T'a nay,, Deshaun, Tayshaun, Deron, Rau'shee, Raynell, Deontay, Taraje, Jozy, Kerron, Hyleas, Chaunte, Bershawn, Lashawn, Sanya, Trevell, Sheena, Ogonna, Dremiel , and many others.
Very much not African-Americans, but right know there are quite a few guys in any Hispanic country you care to name and in their 20s named Yerái (including several footballers).

It's the transcription to Spanish of the word Jedi, as it was pronounced in the Spanish dubbing of Star Wars (Chapter IV), which tried to reproduce the English pronunciation; later dubbings changed the pronunciation to match what people had reconverted it to (the Spanish transcription of this new pronunciation would be Yédi).

And I know of at least two little girls called Arya-with-a-y.

Names evolve, as do any other words. Firstnames and brands, even more often than other nouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I know more Fundamental Christians with that name than I know Jews with that name, and I know more Jews than Fundies.
Rebecas my age, their mother liked the song "Sombra de Rebeca". Rebecas under 20, parents are involved in neochatecumenate. Esthers my age, I know one and she was born on March 23rd, feast of St. Esther, Queen (yes, the same Esther celebrated in Purim). There are two among the children in my brother's neochatecumenate group (Esther and Ana Esther).

Last edited by Nava; 10-12-2017 at 12:32 PM.