View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
You know that Sanders Supporter politician who complained how Biden kissed her on the back of the head? Sure. Not good
Ex-Sanders supporter, it seems. Flores left Our Revolution, Bernie Sander's group, in May 2018.

Quote:
Velasquez’s departure follows the resignation of Lucy Flores, a former Nevada assemblywoman and fellow founding board member, who quit in April over her own anger at Our Revolution for, in her view, ignoring issues important to Latinos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
To spell it out: Biden hugs down.

Biden, when he grabs people and smells their hair and kisses their heads, is asserting dominance. He probably has no idea that he's asserting dominance--he'd probably be hurt and offended by the observation that that's what he's doing.

But if he doesn't behave the same way with everyone---if he refrains from hugging and smelling the hair of people who outrank him in the status hierarchy---then that's what he's doing. He's asserting dominance.

And that's what the recipients of his "hug down" maneuvers find uncomfortable.
Interesting theory. I'm not disagreeing. I do think there's a power dynamic that has an impact on the complaints. But the thing with being the Vice-President of the US is that there aren't many people who are up from that position. Your example of the Pope is a good one, but maybe people just do behave differently around the Pope. I did a quick search for 'Obama and Biden embracing' because Obama is the only other person who would be up from Biden. I found some of those photos to be cringe-worthy. YMMV.

ETA: Just noticed that DrDeth just made this point. I posted this before I saw that.

Last edited by Heffalump and Roo; 04-03-2019 at 08:07 PM.