View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 06:12 AM

Labour's avoidance of an election seems somewhat hollow. A bill put forward to override the FTP rule and hold the government to a specific date would hold just as much legal weight as the current bill to rule out a no deal Brexit but that option is not being put forward by anyone.

In any case there is no way of completely avoiding a no deal Brexit short of revoking article 50 (which this bill does not do) The E.U. will now simply call our bluff because they've seen our cards. They will indeed be hoping for a revocation, as they have wanted all along.

Labour, by not allowing a GE and seeking to rule out the threat of a no deal have ensured no possibility of any meaningful renegotiation by any future government and at the same time shielded themselves from the implications of that. I'm not sure where the deviousness and political positioning ends and the incompetence or cowardice begins.

Boris may be a clown but he is dead right on one thing, ruling out a no-deal ensures you have to put up with what the other side offers and if they offer you something they know is unpalatable to you then you are fucked.

Last edited by Novelty Bobble; 09-05-2019 at 06:13 AM.