View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
I think this is the best summation of my feelings about it. He is a good man, but his prime time is past. The last point at which he could have gone for it was derailed by circumstances. ...
Ignoring the several rabbit holes this thread has otherwise travelled down, not quite "yeah" but nearly so.

If nominated I think he would likely win and I don't think his chances of getting the nomination have been dramatically altered by this.

But while he'd be a reasonable candidate, and a likely winning one, and (IMHO) a very good president, we have better choices, and his less than stellar handling of this ... event ... is merely a reminder of why he's lost races for the nomination those several times before.

Part of what attracts people to Biden is that he is not a prepared response kind of candidate. He responds honestly and off the cuff with what he really thinks without microanalyzing his words before they come out of his mouth and without thinking about what he will say much in advance. That is "real" and "authentic" ... and most commonly likable as well.

And it sometimes makes one cringe and is also what has made his campaigns sputter in the past. Remember his calling Obama the "first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man."? No edit function may work for Trump but it doesn't fly as well on the D side.

Voters often like how he wings it, it's lots of what people like about him and it is who he is ... but that same feature has torpedoed him too.