View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
...the attempt to extend the Red Line out to UCLA, which would require boring under Bel Air and Beverly Hills; legal challenges purporting mythical "gas pockets" have stalled development in that area...
Interestingly, that was the original plan for the 2 freeway (through Beverly Hills), but it wasn't gas "pockets" that stopped it. The people of Beverly Hills just felt that freeways were "meant for other neighborhoods."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Beverly Hills Freeway

Originally, [State Route 2] was to have been the Beverly Hills Freeway from Route 405 to Route 101 just east of Vermont Avenue, flowing onto the Glendale Freeway. In fact, the proposed freeway on Route 2 west of Route 101 was the original routing of the "Santa Monica Freeway" (a name which subsequently went to the distantly parallel Route 10). However, for a variety of political reasons, the department never reached agreement with Beverly Hills to build the segment through that city. At one time, the department considered building a cut-and-cover tunnel under Beverly Hills, but even this proved a non-starter, and the freeway plan west of Route 101 was quietly cancelled in 1975. Currently, the Glendale Freeway begins as a stub at Glendale Boulevard. A freeway-wide bridge was built over Glendale Boulevard in hopes that the freeway would be built further west. Today, the bridge serves as the westbound lanes of Route 2, connecting the southwestbound freeway lanes to southbound Glendale Boulevard. A more modest freeway/expressway extension to Route 101 has been discussed.[10]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Serum View Post
I would not recommend it for tourists. While most (correct me if I'm wrong) of Chicago's attractions are mostly downtown/lakefront, Los Angeles' attractions stretch across much of it's roughly 500 square miles, from the Valley to Long Beach; from the oceanfront to Downtown.
I would says that's right for the typical tourist, who doesn't have that much time. For an extended visit in L.A., however, it's doable, and maybe even preferable, to rent a car for some days and use transit on others. It's probably the best way to really see the city and its people, through all of their many facets.