View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
I don't think it will make a substantial impact on any potential campaign nor should it. This isn't a sexual assault and quite honestly I don't understand her motive in making a big deal of this some 5 years later. Is she saying he's some kind of monster not fit to hold public office? For holding her shoulders and giving her a friendly peck on the back of her head? Inappropriate? Yes. But rendering him unsuitable as a candidate for President? Ridiculous.
Her stated point is
Quote:
the transgressions that society deems minor (or doesn’t even see as transgressions) often feel considerable to the person on the receiving end. That imbalance of power and attention is the whole point — and the whole problem.
And it's not an invalid point.

Biden has been a politician a long time and has always been a literal gladhandler, to all. The standards that call awareness to the fact that some who never voice any objection actually may find such touch to be offensive (rather than as a form of connection) are in comparison recent.

Touching after objection has been voiced would be disqualifying. Being unaware of what was in someone's head that was never shared and not realizing that some had those unvoiced discomforts? Likely not.

I get Ms. Flores' point. I also think that holding all past behavior to a standard that did not previously exist, that disqualifying based on things that at the time they occurred would not generally have been realized to be transgressive, would not only be silly, but would turn us into a circular firing squad.

bobot what in your mind would count as coming clean and making good. He very likely honestly does not remember the specifics of the interaction as she had said nothing and was likely very gracious to him for his support. That's the gist of his response by way of surrogate.
Quote:
Responding to the accusation, Biden spokesman Bill Russo said the vice president had been happy to support Flores and to speak on her behalf at the event.

“Neither then, nor in the years since, did he or the staff with him at the time have an inkling that Ms. Flores had been at any time uncomfortable, nor do they recall what she describes,” Russo said on Friday in a statement.

Biden believes Flores has every right to share her own recollection, Russo added, and that it is a positive change for U.S. society that she has the opportunity.
I think it is safe to assume that the kiss on the back of the head happened and that that sort of touch was just so normal politicking to him that asking him to remember it is unrealistic. Given that what response would satisfy? Serious question.

The Democratic side at least now declares such touch as off limits but a long time pol has functioned before now as well.