View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
I'll buy that as an observed point but not as any kind of answer. The NFL has been very aggressive about what it sees as misuse; a 200-year-old newspaper should be able to put a "Superbowl Countdown" on its page without fear of legal retribution.

So yes, the NFL has even the media running scared on this, even if it's caution and not actual supported law. Why do they care and why do even news agencies bend to this bizarre demand? I mean, no one would think twice about a news report that said the robber ordered a Whopper before robbing the place; BK is not going to sue them into insolvency for not calling it The Big Sandwich.
The NFL cares for the same reason every company cares about this kind of thing: they want to make all the money they can from their property and they don't want it to lose any of its value the way Kleenex or Band-Aid have. The NFL can be very aggressive because it has a tons and tons of money, and companies avoid the phrase because they don't want to have to defend themselves even from a weak lawsuit and because a lot of people have a shaky grasp of his this stuff actually works. A lot of them go way over the top about it, especially in soft news. I don't know if a newspaper would really get in trouble for a Superbowl Countdown. I agree that the Superbowl Sale thing makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I think that stores should announce that they're having a Superb Owl sale.

It'd be a natural for Hooters to have a Superb Owl party.
Stephen Colbert is doing this all week.

Last edited by Marley23; 01-29-2014 at 08:53 AM.