View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Hm. How far down the road do you want to go? As far as God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything? Along the same lines, there's The Quotable Atheist and The Atheist Mainfesto, which are handy guides for crafting arguments with believers. And if she's never read it, an oldie but a goodies is Bertrand Russell's Why I Am Not A Christian.
My wife isn't an atheist, and the cards are as much hers as mine; and it was her idea anyway. Sagan's a really good idea, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink
From the OP, it's not clear whether you're specifically asking for books that encourage skepticism (religious or otherwise), or, more generally, books that feed the mind and/or the imagination but that she can't have at home. And I'm a little bit surprised you're asking, since I would have thought that you, of all people, would already have plenty of ideas for good books, from among books that you yourself have read and loved or profited from.
I thought it would be an interesting discussion, and I hoped that you guys would think of things I'm overlooking. For instance, I had totally blanked on Sagan's Demon-Haunted World, but it is pretty much the perfect book to encourage the little girl to think.

Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 11-06-2008 at 11:47 AM.