View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:26 AM

I both love and hate these threads, for the same reason: I always find lots of new books to buy.

Right now I'm reading two titles, the first via Kindle and the other the old-fashioned way:
  • What The Dog Saw, by Malcolm Gladwell. I like Gladwell ok, but have found that I prefer to take breaks between his books; therefore, I'm catching up on him gradually.
  • Grimm Pictures: Fairy Tale Archetypes in Eight Horror and Suspense Films, by Walter Rankin. I confess that I am friends with the author, which is how I learned about the book and is part of the reason why I bought it, but it's also a topic that genuinely interests me (in grad school I took a folklore class that touched heavily on fairy tales). Thankfully I am finding the book to be thought-provoking and well-written, so I won't have to lie to my friend when I tell him I liked it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedIdiot View Post
I'm reading Better: A surgeon's notes on performance by Atul Gawande. It's a fantastic book that mixes case histories, personal anecdotes, and history of the medicine, to discuss the state of his profession.
That sounded very interesting, and when I looked it up on Amazon I saw that he published a book in 2003 called Complications. Have you read it? If so, did you like it just as much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
I'm reading Locke & Key, a creepy graphic novel set in Lovecraft, Mass. and written by Joe Hill, Stephen King's son.
Have you read Heart-Shaped Box? I liked it more than I thought I would. I'm not into graphic novels so I probably won't check out Locke & Key, but your post prompted me to see if he had any other novels and now I have added Horns to my wishlist.