View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjestika View Post
I'm reading John Dies at the End. Pretty good, with gross and absurd imagery and some wonderful turns of phrase, but halfway through I don't really know where it's going. It's less plot-driven, more clever-driven. I like it, though- just hope it becomes more... something.
I read that a few months ago and really enjoyed it. It was delightfully gross and made me guffaw several times. Not a bad catch for one of those Borders buy-one-get-one-50%-off deals.

I am also about 2/3 of the way through Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Over the last few years I had several false starts with this book, and I guess finally it just clicked. There are some rather twee narrative things going on throughout (such as "surprized," "chuse" and others). but I'm really enjoying the story and can't wait to see how things end up.

One of the highlights of last month's reading was China Mieville's Kraken, which I picked up on someone's recommendation in a previous thread. Many, many thanks to those who thought to mention it here. I loved it, and am looking forward to reading more of Mieville's work.