View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 04:01 PM

When it comes to sports, I think amateur/pro status determines who can really afford to say, "It's just a game."

If you're playing in college and your goal is to turn pro and make a living playing a sport, then at that point in your life, it's more than just a game. An ill-timed injury could derail your whole career.

But for the star players who are already making lifetimes worth of money every season, they can afford to sit back and say, "It's just a game." There are countless athletes who have been quoted saying how they are so grateful they get to play a game for a living.

Just recently, Giannis Antetokounmpo interviewed after the Bucks game 3 loss in the Eastern Conference Finals:

Quote:
Antetokounmpo was the last player to leave the locker room Sunday night. He sat in front of his locker, sipping a blue Gatorade and answering questions from lingering reporters. When asked whether he was disappointed in how he played in Game 3, though, he stood up.

"Hell no," Antetokounmpo told ESPN, pushing himself up from the locker bench. He began to walk away, before turning back around and explaining further.

"I am Giannis," Antetokounmpo said, putting his hand on his chest. "What I have done in my life so far -- sending money to my family, put my brothers in private schools, taking care of family in Nigeria and Greece. Disappointed in a game? I'd be disappointed in myself if I was disappointed."