View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 12:18 PM

The letter canceling the summit is a wonder to behold, and I don't mean that in a good way. It has be a new low in diplomacy. It is, in fact, so riddled with awkward phrasing, bad grammar, and incomprehensible logic that a two-bit tinpot dictatorship would have been embarrassed by it. It's so awful that I'm thinking Trump himself must have written parts of it, or else everyone working for him is both incompetent and illiterate in equal measure.

A few choice bits:
We were informed that the meeting was requested by North Korea, but that to us is totally irrelevant.
What??? I repeat, what??? WTF does this even mean?
Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, ...
Nice move. The first thing to do in any diplomatic communication is insult the other party by blaming them for everything and calling them a bunch of angry and hostile meanies.
Therefore, please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties, but to the detriment of the world, will not take place.
"Please let this letter serve to represent" is not a phrase I have ever seen in any language that I speak. This is then followed by the inscrutable observation that canceling the summit is somehow good for the US and North Korea, but terrible for the rest of the world.
You talk about nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.
This has to be the first time in history that a US diplomatic communication has ever stated "mine is way bigger than yours" and "we is so big and mighty youse don't wanna mess with us". This has "Trump" written all over it. It has to be.
Some day, I look very much forward to meeting you.
That would be "I very much look forward to meeting you someday". But, hey, what's two ungrammatical word transpositions and one spelling mistake for every ten words, other than it sounds like it was written by a newly arrived immigrant from one of those famous African shitholes who was just starting his ESL course?
If you change your mind having to do with this most important summit, please do not hesitate to call me or write.
Wait a minute. Who's the one doing the canceling here? How does this make even the remotest bit of sense? Also, "if you change your mind having to do with ..." is not actually English, but at this point it hardly even matters.