View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
There's some space between all women either swallowing their disappointment or soundly rejecting, and no damage at all. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Not when it comes to what matters: voting. When it comes to one candidate's fortunes, voting is binary. Either the voter casts the ballot for Biden, or the voter does not cast the ballot for Biden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
... We are talking about impact on the population of voters. Some will cast their vote for Biden and some will not. Not quite binary because of course it matters what that not is but fine. When it comes to one candidate’s fortunes however it matters how many more of those nots there are. That is what matters and is not binary. If there are so few nots that your total is not significantly impacted (as polling since so far suggests but it is early) or enough that it matters and how much it matters. Not binary....
I'm not sure you've successfully refuted the proposition "when it comes to one candidate's fortunes, voting is binary. Either the voter casts the ballot for Biden, or the voter does not cast the ballot for Biden."

It still appears to me that for any particular voter, either that voter casts a ballot for Biden, or that voter does not cast a ballot for Biden. Though the latter option can happen in many different ways (all with varying effects on the election overall)-----so far as Biden is concerned, it's a vote he didn't get.

The voter either:
  • votes for Biden or
  • does not vote for Biden.

Do you believe some other option exists? I'm not asking about all the various ways the second option could occur*----- I'm saying that in the universe of things a voter could do, 'votes for Biden' and 'does not vote for Biden' exhausts the possibilities.

If you believe otherwise, could you expand on your argument?

*which would include 'votes for Candidate R', 'votes for Candidate S,' 'votes for Candidate T,' etc. for the entire list of candidates and write-ins, and also 'does not vote,' for various reasons. Again, this list is not what I was talking about. What I was talking about was 'vote for Biden' versus 'does not vote for Biden.'