View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 08:35 PM

I love Hearthstone, but I feel like it could benefit from just a little bit more complexity. Right now the only cards are creatures and one-shot spells. I don't know how they could add "reaction" cards without upsetting the flow of the game, though. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I see people make Magic-style value judgments on cards all the time. They think a 2 cost 1/1 with "battlecry: draw a card" is good, because card advantage is such a big deal in Magic. In Hearthstone, there is literally nothing in the entire game that costs 2 and is worse than that card. Card advantage effects are so damn cheap that even if that creature was 1 cost, it wouldn't particularly stand out as overpowered. In fact, there's already a 1 cost, 1/3 creature that typically yields MULTIPLE extra cards in a game.

Also, people severely undervalue some keywords, like "divine shield". Holy shit, that ability is incredible. A divine shield creature with stats weighted in favor of attack will trade 2 to 1 quite often, but you almost never see these creatures being played. On the other hand, "taunt" is a keyword that very rarely helps your situation, however decks are STACKED with these cards. People will pass over equal-cost cards with stats 2 or even 3 points higher, just to take this keyword.