View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
On mainstream lib blogs, especially the comment sections, they often tell themselves they're the real patriots. They like to point out how Republicans vote down healthcare for veterans or boo gay soldiers or don't support rape victims in the military. I don't know if they actually buy into this stuff or it's a meta-reaction from the Cold War and War on Terror.
Perhaps they point this stuff out because Republicans do in fact vote down healthcare for veterans, boo gay soldiers and fail to support rape victims in the military.

Quote:
Calling patriotism that goes too far "jingoism" reminds me of how when people want to defend capitalism ruining everything they call it "crony capitalism."
Since "jingoism" is defined as "extreme patriotism, especially in the form of aggressive or warlike foreign policy", calling patriotism that goes too far "jingoism" seems fairly accurate to me.

I'm not sure why it bothers you when liberals say things that are objectively true, but there you go. I'm also not sure why giving big piles of money to the Pentagon is considered supporting our troops but trying to actually provide real support for them isn't.