View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
originally posted by ShibbOleth:
Indonesians <snip> can quite often have Muslim first names, like Mohammed or Ahmet.
Not to nitpick (okay, I *am* nitpicking, and my only excuse is my love of Indonesia and the distress I feel when foreigners oversimplify its complexities or dismiss the nation as a bunch of Moslem extremists, or think that everyone who follows Islam is named "Mohammed") but in 8 years of living in Indonesia I have yet to meet an "Ahmet," although there is an occasional "Ahmad" so that's not completely wrong.

But here are the first (or only, since not all Indonesians have two names) names of every Indonesian I currently know in a work-related capacity:

Yanto
Udin
Mulyono
Iis
Eti
Harun
Widodo
Edward (I work with 2 people named Edward)
Sutrisno
Aris (I work with 2 people named Aris)
Farid
Wawan
Januar
Satia
Endah (2 of those, too)
Parno
Wakidi
Deborah
Ari

The three front-running teams in the just-held Indonesian elections had these first/only names:

Susilo
Budiono
Megawati
Prabowo
Yusuf
Wiranto

Now, you will note that some of these names - like Farid and Yusuf - are indeed Arabic in origin. But Indonesians with Arabic names are at least as likely to be named Aburizal or Walid as they are worn-out American stereotypes like Mohammad and Ahmad.

Sorry, ShibbOleth. I don't mean to pick on you, just on the tendency of Americans to reduce everything Islamic to names like Mohammed. I'm sure you personally are not guilty of that.

Last edited by CairoCarol; 07-12-2009 at 06:44 PM.