View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Pointing out two examples of large scale coordinated irrigation systems in no way makes the case that in general wheat farming required such.
I didn't say anything about "requires", so this is a bit of a strawman. I was merely pointing out that it was irrigated wheat farming that led to all the first states and civilizations, so it's not a convincing argument to me that rice farming somehow has a more collective character, or whatever, than wheat farming. That's clearly not the case. Also, pointing to a modern increase in dryland farming is a non sequitur for this argument, which is about the origins of the disparate lifeways.

I'm not arguing that rice farming doesn't involve more (small-scale) collectivism. I'm arguing that, in the main, early historic wheat farming was even more of a collectivist effort, just at the state level.

Yes, you're right, so far I've only provided two examples (although irrigation was also a feature in Chinese wheat-growing areas)- but in the ancient Near East, the origin of "wheat culture", those two cultures represented the majority of the production and population.

Last edited by MrDibble; 06-07-2017 at 11:56 AM.