View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Great idea. I restored to the point just before I installed Office 2010 Beta and everything is back to normal

A couple of things to note. First, my error in trying to remove the file was that I was trying to remove it from the wrong place. I first found the file in c:\windows\system32. I finally found a Microsoft help page that pointed me to a different directory, C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033, and said to delete the file, and on startup Outlook would automatically fix itself. That actually happened. But then, Outlook would not respond to any mouse clicks in the mail list window. I could navigate it using the up/down arrows but could not click on mail to select or open it. That is a very bizarre problem. That's when I decided to go ahead with the restore, after seeing your post.

Office 2010 Beta installation asks you if you want to leave prior versions. It forgets to tell you that you can't leave the prior version of Outlook, but doesn't allow you to opt out of installing Outlook. So that's a severe flaw in the installation process. I don't think it's possible to pick and choose which components to install, the way I can for Office 2003.