View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
I saw the 1976 version and the 2005 version in the theaters. At some point in between, I rented the 1933 version on VHS.

The 1933 version is still the best.

Most people seem to hate the 1976 version, but I enjoy it. Yeah, sure, it's a guy in an ape suit, but Rick Baker did an excellent job of putting emotion into his eyes.

I like the 2005 version, but I don't love it. Peter Jackson has a tendency to go overboard with the CGI. The action scenes were a little too thrilling: I had difficulty believing that the men could survive the sauropod stampede, or that Kong's juggling act would not break the woman's neck.

I'm a 49 y.o. male who grew up on monster movies!
I have watched nearly all the Kong films SEVERAL times, in their entirety:

King Kong (1933)
[The leering, full-sized "Kong Head" who just rolls his eyes left to right like one of those old 'Kit-Cat Wall Clocks' sends me rolling every time!]

The Son Of King (1933)
WHAT!?! Only 33% on RottenTomatoes?? I think it's a great sequel!

Mighty Joe Young (1949) [I know it's not Kong, but...!]

King Kong vs Godzilla (1962)
I just watched it about 3 months ago. Yes, it's goofy, but still fun.

King Kong (1976)
My personal favorite, as well as our introduction to the lovely Jessica Lange.
I first saw this at 13 during its theatrical release and was awestruck by the power, and fury displayed as Kong smashed the village gate in his failed attempt to retrieve his blonde Barbie-doll, Dwan.
Yes, I was only 13, (what's a 13 y.o. know about what makes a good movie?) but this scene along with Kong's 1976 death left a lasting impression on me.

King Kong Lives (1986)
The less said about this abortion, the better!

King Kong (2005)
Maybe it was the combination of Naomi Watts, (meh) and Jack Black (ugh!) that rubbed me the wrong way, but I simply couldn't get into this AT ALL!

-Slaughter