View Single Post
Old 01-11-2003, 12:26 AM

I do believe that part of using "2" for "to" (or "two" or "too" or, in France, "tu") or "ur" for "your" or "you're" are actually in part because a lot of people, especially the younger crowd, isn't exactly sure what the differences are between them. By that, I mean that many would see no grammatical error in something like, "Their so many of them" or, "There so man of them" even though both are wrong.

I'm not about to preach on the advantages of proper grammar or English in general, but for a kick, correct someone's grammar when online and let the flaming begin.

I can understand using shortcuts because of time constraints (as in a game) or because of bandwidth restrictions (early online connections and places that charge for connections by the hour/minute/bytes sent), but when you're on a public message board and there's even the ability to proofread before posting, it doesn't make much sense.

I guess everyone needs an identity. That would explain both l33+$p34k and ebonics in one fell swoop. It's as if they're screaming, "Recognize us, damnit!" Like Horshack from Welcome Back, Kotter.

Of course, I could be wrong.

~Nov

Change is good, but I prefer paper money.