View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I'm sure you're being honest with your views, and I'm sure you don't see anything problematic with what you've written. That doesn't mean that your arguments aren't playing into some particularly sexist attitudes and assumptions.

Okay. Here's where I think you're making the arguments I alluded to:

"If nobody complained, they must have been okay with it,"

This is exactly the attitude that lets a lot of this sort of misbehavior go unchecked for so long. Obviously, we don't know the feelings of every individual in that video compilation. We do have one example of woman who was entirely okay with it. And we have more than half a dozen, so far, who were not. Maybe if someone had looked at Biden's behavior sooner, and said, "This isn't cool, he needs to knock that shit off" there might have been fewer women in the second group. We can't do that, however, if attempting to look at his public behavior gets treated like this:

"By raising concerns about this situation being sexist, you're showing yourself to be the real sexist."

Someone is concerned that a video shows a politically powerful person behaving inappropriately with women. You cast this concern as sexual in nature, as if the person concerned about Biden's behavior is receiving some sort of sexual gratification from the videos.
That's not what I'm saying in either case.

I'll try and put it differently (this is how CarnalK summed up my position) "We have in this very controversy a woman (Stephanie Carter) decrying her photo with Biden being used as a prop for calling him creepy. There are undoubtedly others in these video compilations that feel the same."

Further, the videos are entirely unnecessarily to criticize Biden. Seven women (at least -- maybe more by now) have now credibly accused Biden of inappropriate touching. There's no reason at all to refer to videos and images of women and girls who may or may not be embarassed or shamed by these videos being promulgated of their bodies being touched, when we have at least seven first hand accounts of inappropriate touching by Biden.