View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
A cloture motion is a motion to end debate. My admittedly non-expert understanding is that if no one raises an objection to ending debate then there is no need for a cloture vote.

Further, even if there was one Democrat left to object to ending debate my understanding is that the 3/5 requirement is of those Senators present. So 53 Republicans and one lone Democrat would mean the Republicans could easily meet the 3/5 requirement.
Correcting myself here.

Cloture is governed by Senate Rule XXII which specifies a cloture vote requires:
Quote:
...three-fifths of the Senators duly chosen and sworn...
which is normally 60 of the 100 Senators unless there is a vacancy. So, at least initially, that one lone Democrat hanging around could object to ending debate and a cloture vote would not be successful. Until...

As we recently saw the Senate can decide to change the rules.
Quote:
...a measure or motion to amend the Senate rules, in which case the necessary affirmative vote shall be two-thirds of the Senators present and voting
So it would require the willingness to change the Senate Rules. And should they choose to use the nuclear option to change the Senate Rules then it really only takes a simple majority of Senators present.

One additional step, easily accomplished IMHO, since in this hypothetical it it would allow the Republicans to steamroll through a their dream agenda.