View Single Post
Old 11-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan View Post
Not to hijack, but a semi-related question: is it even possible to do 'bad' camp? That is, attempt to do bad, and fail in achieving badness? What would a film failing in this endeavor look like?
I can't really think of films that attempt to be bad. All the filmmakers on this list believed in their work. They wanted audiences to like it and amazingly many succeeded wildly in that regard.

If we go down a step to films attempting to be camp and failing, I'd say a lot of the "psychedelic" movies made in the late 60s qualify. Head is a failure. It was intended to be a spoof or at least commentary on the times, but incoherency sunk it. Skidoo, also mentioned, is a better example because it was a mainstream Hollywood product. The writer, Doran William Cannon, went on to write Brewster McCloud so it may be totally Otto Preminger's fault. Were the movies of Ray Dennis Steckler or Russ Meyer meant to be camp? Some people say yes to at least some of them. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls was certainly meant by writer Roger Ebert to be deliberately funny and I think it's too good to be on this list. Other hate it.

Maybe the worst of the worst is Magical Mystery Tour, which technically may not qualify since it was intended for television. When I was young I found it incomprehensible that no American tv network would play it. The Beatles! With Beatles songs! Then I finally saw it and understood.