Old 02-18-2001, 04:12 PM

I don't know if I would or not. Part of me thinks that I must be some wort of twisted freak for even entertaining the notion of witnessing an execution, of my own free will, on television. Then there's the other part that wants to know for certain that he is dead.

McVeigh wants it televised, so naturally, my first reaction is "no, you rat b******. Why should you get what you want?" Then another part of me thinks that maybe by televising this, somewhere, someone who may be thinking about comitting a crime that could get him/her the death penalty might be watching, and might have a change of heart.

I know I certainly wouldn't let my children watch. But is televising this truly a horrible idea? A larger portion of me is saying "yes, this is a VERY bad idea" than is saying "no, it's not," but I wonder. Maybe could some good come of it?
Old 02-18-2001, 04:42 PM

No.

One, I wouldn't have the stomach for it.

Two, as much as McVeigh's a shit, I'm against the death penalty.

Three, it would turn him into a fucking martyr.

It's just barbaric, I think. Will it solve anything? No. Just feed more blood on top of those he's already killed.

The bastard WANTS to die-I say, let him live. Let him live with the memory of what he did. Let him see pictures of people he killed in his cell. Let him live with the guilt every fucking day until he dies.
Old 02-18-2001, 05:00 PM

I sincerely doubt McVeigh feels any remorse. What little communication he gives is laced with contempt.

Would I watch? No. I don't watch boxing either, for much the same reason. However, if HBO wants to offer it as a Pay-Per-View, with the proceeds going to the victims' families, what the hell. We can't sink much lower than we have already, given the popularity of Jerry Springer and the WWF.

Do I think he deserves to die? Yes. Do I think he should be able to dictate the terms of his execution? No. He gave up his rights when he killed 138 people.
Old 02-18-2001, 05:16 PM

Let's look beyond the McVeigh example (scum that he is, I too am against the death penalty).

Say his execution is broadcast. There would be enough sickos out there watching it to send the ratings through the roof. With ratings come advertising dollars (can you imagine the advertising around this?). And then you will see more televised executions. It's the genie out of the bottle.

And, one day, you'll see an innocent person die ...

How would you feel about that?
Old 02-18-2001, 05:20 PM

No.

Glorifying in the death of another human being is barbaric. Does he deserve to die? Quite possibly. Should the state be the one to determine and execute such a sentence? I say no, but I understand that you might disagree. Should we turn the execution of citizens into a mass-media spectacle designed to appeal to the bases passions of our population? No!

Bread and circuses is not a maxim for an ethical society.
Old 02-18-2001, 05:32 PM

If you want repeat actions whereas people try to get famous through repeating his actions then go right ahead.
Old 02-18-2001, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Then another part of me thinks that maybe by televising this, somewhere, someone who may be thinking about comitting a crime that could get him/her the death penalty might be watching, and might have a change of heart.
I very much doubt it.

Back when pickpocketing was punishable by hanging, and hangings were public events, pickpockets would often be there , ignoring the fact that it could be them on the gallows.

I have yet to see the slightest trace of evidence that the death penalty has any deterrent effect whatsoever.
Old 02-18-2001, 06:16 PM
BANNED

I would in a second. I'm all for the death penalty and firmly believe that, eventually, the effect would be to lower the crime rates that are punishable by the death penalty.

No cites of course, but look at it this way. If someone were to smack you in the head with a board and say don't do that, you're gonna learn NOT to do whatever it is.

I know, that was a really crappy analogy.
Old 02-18-2001, 06:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yes. I write a column on reality TV, and it just don't get any more real than that.

I mean, hell, I've watched every episode of Temptation Island, fercryingoutloud. It can't be worse than that...
Old 02-18-2001, 06:51 PM

A very good summary of the issues around televised public executions can be found here.

How's this for creepy?
Quote:
Imagine people celebrating executions at ‘happy hour’ in bars with large screen televisions or local football-style tailgate parties.
Rendering the unthinkable, mundane ...
Old 02-18-2001, 07:48 PM

No I wouldn't watch but I'd pay to throw the switch on this beast.
Old 02-18-2001, 08:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RoboDude
Quote:

I have yet to see the slightest trace of evidence that the death penalty has any deterrent effect whatsoever.
Why would it be a deterrent? It's hardly used. How many admitted murderers are in jail? How many on death row? It's very disproportionate. The ones who are actually on death row have been there for MANY years. It means nothing. Plus, who really gets it? The psychotic ones that don't really care. The gang member that kills a little boy in crossfire doesn't get death, just a long sentence where his life is better in jail than on the street. Make the death penalty mean something, and make it the most gruesome and painful ordeal possible, and it will be a deterrent. Being broken on the wheel is something to think about compared to lethal injection. Only when we take away prisoner rights, will punishment be a deterrent.

At the very worst, who cares if anyone is deterred? My feeling is this: If anyone wants Timmy to not be put to death, that they alone be taxed for his support for the next umpteen years. Not me.
Old 02-18-2001, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I mean, hell, I've watched every episode of Temptation Island, fercryingoutloud. It can't be worse than that...
DavidB, I'm begging you, man . . . please tell me you were joking!
Old 02-18-2001, 09:39 PM

I'm all for televising executions. since the whole issue of capital punishment is political then it stands to reason that the public has a right to be informed. But lets turn executions over to the private sector. Those guys at the WWF running extreme football should know how to run an execution, and the taxpayer will be off the hook.
Old 02-18-2001, 09:49 PM

From what I understand, watching an execution can be very upsetting to most. I saw the movie, The Chamber, with Chris O'Donnell and Gene Hackman. And let me just say, I was practically bawling on the floor at the end-it was very hard to watch, even though I KNEW it was fake.
Old 02-18-2001, 09:57 PM

There actually wouldn't be too much to see since he's going to die by lethal injection.
Old 02-18-2001, 10:01 PM

Guinastasia
Three, it would turn him into a fucking martyr.

It don't matter how they do it, when they kill him he will become a martyr for every antigovernment weirdo in this country.
Old 02-18-2001, 11:23 PM

What Jeffro said is another concern I have. McVeigh's actions were inspired by Waco and Ruby Ridge. Although the militia wackiness seemed to settle some after Oklahoma City (I think even they were horrified by it), I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few really, really far out nutballs that thought this guy was some sort of hero.

And what Ice Wolf said about the parties isn't too tough to believe, either. IIRC, there was quite a bit of merrymaking outside the prison when Ted Bundy was executed.

Upon reflection, I think that televising this probably would be a tremendously crappy idea. I'm following Ice Wolf's slippery slope here, and the conclusion I'm coming to is that we as a society are getting more and more desensitized to violence already. Start televising executions, and while my naive little idea about it maybe putting someone off crime might work for a minute, eventually we'd get so used to the executions that we'd become desensitized to those as well, and end up right back where we started.
Old 02-18-2001, 11:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Would I watch? Absolutely not. I'm fully aware this may not make much sense, but somehow or other glorying in his death would degrade me down to his level.

I'm very conflicted about the death penalty issues anyway. Part of me recognizes if the state puts someone to death there's a cogent argument for making the process open, i.e. not hiding it behind closed doors and bearing witness. On the other hand, it's still a person dying, with family and people who care about him no matter what he's done. It's one thing for relatives of the victim(s) to witness an execution. Maybe it helps bring some peace and balance; I dunno. But I can't imagine anything more hideous for innocent family of the condemned to know the execution is being televised for all and sundry.

I can't think of anyone I loathe more than Timothy McVeigh. But I don't want him killed, and it has nothing to do with Br'er Rabbit reasoning. He's an icy, zeal-ridden wannabe martyr. Executing him would just validate his own view of himself. I truly believe the worst, subtle, appropriate punishment would be to make him live. He embraced death as a tactic, wiping out lives carelessly and wantonly, all in service to his own ego--and he's still doing it. There's nothing glamorous about an aging prison lag w/ no hope of freedom. He'd have endless, slow, crawling years with nothing to do but think. I believe those years could be increasingly hideous as the consciousness of what he did hounded him. If he were lucky he might go insane--or genuinely wish for death if the scope of the evil he chose became real to him.

He's wrought enough tragedy and hate.

Veb
Old 02-18-2001, 11:41 PM

Should his execution be televised? Yes.

Would I watch? Yes. (Probably not live since I'm always working these days, but one of my friends would no doubt tape it. . .)

Would it be a spectacle WORTH watching? No.

Lethal injection is boring. We are so very HUMANE these days. We put 'em to sleep like sick dogs. All so solemn and private. What are we ashamed of?

Now the public guillotine, now THERE was a spectacle! Shakespearian drama at its most Senecan debasment. For the groundlings: blood and gore. For the intelligentsia the higher, and more horrible, problem of the severed head and its possible consciousness after the deed is done. A little something for everyone, a crowd pleaser . . .

As for all these fretful questions of the death penalty being a "deterrent" -- please! This is the highest tirade in the dingbat Rousseauist debate playbook. It is the same sort of thinking that gave us the notion that when we lock criminals up, we are "rehabilitating" them.

Imprisonment is punishment of an individual, as is execution. "Deterrence" is a secondary question, interesting certainly, but in no way a deciding factor in the question of imprisonment or execution.
Old 02-19-2001, 12:19 AM

Would I watch? No. Why? Because I am against the death penalty. .

Would I want to watch? Yes and no.

Yes, because I have a morbid streak a mile wide, but I can and do satisfy it through art (the bible, Stephen R. Donaldson, Stephen King, Shakespeare, Garth Ennis's The Preacher, Frida Kahlo's, or Francis Bacon's paintings... the list is endless).

No, because I believe that watching such a spectacle would be debasing to me personally, and to humanity.

jm

I demand that David B was joking.
Old 02-19-2001, 12:51 AM
BANNED

He's getting lethal injection? Not interested, who wants to watch someone go to sleep? Time better spent on Cartoon Channel or watching Friends reruns. Watching a person die like that would only be interesting in person, so you can get the full experience.

If it was a hanging, firing squad, or something equally interesting, I might click over to catch it. I wouldn't bother with the pre-execution show, though.
Old 02-19-2001, 12:59 AM

On a gut level, I hope it's not televised. TV news is already presents itself as entertainment too often, in my opinion. No matter how much was said about how citizens have the right to witness the functions of our justice system, I think it would still be presented as some sort of gory entertainment.

Also, the mere fact that he wants it to be televised makes me think we should not. I hope the cook burns his last meal.

I don't support the death penalty, but I also realize that the death penalty is currently part of our legal system and that McVeigh has received his due process. If it were to be televised, and if I had children (which I don't) and I felt they were old enough and they wanted to watch it, I would rather watch it with them. I would want to use it as an opportunity to talk about why I oppose the death penalty, and hopefully get them to think about their own stand on the issue.
Old 02-19-2001, 01:09 AM

I would watch.

I'm not sure if I think that it should or should be televised (are they actually, seriously considering it?) but I would watch if it were.

Now, I am very, very, very much against the death penalty, for a million and one reasons. So if people were listening to me, he wouldn't be getting put to death in the first place.

But no one listens to me, so that's a mute point.

I cannot even imagine how horrible something like that would be to witness (I have read accounts written by people who watched an execution, and those were pretty awful, so to actually see one must be a good deal more unsettling), even if it is something as mundane as lethal injection. And that is kind of why I would want to watch - to be unsettled.

I would hope that other people who would watch would be unsettled too, and would realize what an incredibly dumb and barbaric thing the death penalty is, and so maybe they would change their mind about it. Or something.
Old 02-19-2001, 02:24 AM

The idea of televising a human death is appalling and offensive.

So would I watch?

Hell, no. And pass the popcorn.
Old 02-19-2001, 02:41 AM

Well, for what it's worth I've seen a couple of

executions and don't care to see any more of them.

I'm from the US but working in Saudi Arabia right now and there are public executions almost every week somewhere in the Kingdom. On two occasions I've been in the wrong place at the wrong time and wound up seeing a man beheaded.

The executions are done on a Friday after the mid-day religious services in a public square. There is usually a large crowd, friends and family of both the prisoner and the victim.
A black van shows up with the prisoner and the executioner. The prisoner is tied and hooded, rumor has it that he is also mildly drugged. It's hot and quiet, a standard desert mid-day and you can smell the dust and the crowd around you.
The actual execution is done with a sword. The executioner is very matter-of-fact about it. He simply unsheathed the sword, threw the sheath on the hood of the truck, turned and sliced the prisoner's head off. One stroke, very quick and clean.
There is an enormous fountain of blood, I had never realized how much blood someone has in their body.
Afterwards everyone leaves quietly, it's not a celebration of any sort, they merely see it as justice having been done.
Anyway, executions are common here, usually for murder, rape, or drug dealing. On the up-side, Saudi is also a very safe place. Very few murders, rapes or openly sold drugs and definately no repeat offenders.
Anyway, I'm not saying that public executions and a safe environment are cause and effect, I couldn't back that up. I *CAN* say that if I were planning to commit a serious crime I would have second and third thoughts after seeing an execution.
Sorry for the slight hijack but although I have no scruples about the death penalty I would NOT go to watch it.

Regards.

Testy.
Old 02-19-2001, 03:13 AM
BANNED

Yes.

I've seen all of the Faces of Death movies. What's another one?

I also think that anyone in favor of the death penalty should watch. That is, after all, what you are voting for. If you're not able to see the results of your vote, maybe you might want to rethink your position somewhat.
Old 02-19-2001, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I also think that anyone in favor of the death penalty should watch. That is, after all, what you are voting for. If you're not able to see the results of your vote, maybe you might want to rethink your position somewhat.
Then I'd argue that each anti-capital punishment voter should have to take his/her turn guarding criminals like Timothy McVeigh.

This *is* what they voted for, after all.
Old 02-19-2001, 09:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally posted by PunditLisa

Then I'd argue that each anti-capital punishment voter should have to take his/her turn guarding criminals like Timothy McVeigh.

This *is* what they voted for, after all.
No, I'd say it's more analagous to saying they should *watch* the criminal in jail. On TV.

I did not go so far as to spout the "don't vote for the death penalty if you're not prepared to pull the switch yourself" line, which would be more analagous to what you propose, wouldn't you say?
Old 02-19-2001, 09:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Turbo Dog
Quote:
Originally posted by RoboDude
Quote:

Why would it be a deterrent? It's hardly used. How many admitted murderers are in jail? How many on death row? It's very disproportionate. The ones who are actually on death row have been there for MANY years.
Hey, Texas and Virginia execute people like it's going out of style, and it appears to have no effect on their murder rates. Especially in Texas.

Quote:
It means nothing. Plus, who really gets it? The psychotic ones that don't really care.
Actually, the ones that "get it" are usually poor and overwhelmingly nonwhite. Oh, and in Texas, the occassional retarded person, minor, non-English speaker, non-citizen, and whoever else they think they might be able to toss in.

Quote:
Make the death penalty mean something, and make it the most gruesome and painful ordeal possible, and it will be a deterrent.
Um, did you see the thing about pickpockets? People were picking pockets in the crowd of people gathered to watch the hangings of pickpockets. It isn't a deterrent, face it.

Quote:
At the very worst, who cares if anyone is deterred? My feeling is this: If anyone wants Timmy to not be put to death, that they alone be taxed for his support for the next umpteen years. Not me.
Gee, that's a reasonable response. You do know that the parents and families of some of the people killed in the bombing have asked that he not be executed. Right? I mean, you do know that?
Old 02-19-2001, 10:32 AM

And now that PL has brought up the families of the victims, I feel safe in twisting the OP to read, "If Timothy McVeigh's Execution Were Televised, and You Had Lost Family Members in the Bombing, Would You Watch?"

Me? No. For either OP. Let it go, say I.

Also, I agree that televising it is a very bad idea. You're giving him exactly what he wants, lots of celebrity strokes. His 15 minutes has gone on way too long as it is. Just executing him will make him a martyr to the other "Freedom Fighters" anyway, but putting the thing out over the airwaves, and on videotape, will only pump them up even worse.
Old 02-19-2001, 02:30 PM

HOW, tell me, is witnessing an execution going to deter crime?

After all, back in the days when public execution was carried out, it still didn't deter crime. Other wise, they wouldn't have needed it in the first place! In fact, it was seen as entertainment!
Old 02-19-2001, 02:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I had said:
Quote:
Spiritus Mundi replied:
Quote:
DavidB, I'm begging you, man . . . please tell me you were joking!
About which part? That I have watched every episode of TI or that his execution can't be much worse?

If it's the former, nope, I'm 100% serious. I even tape it when I'm not home on Wed. nights. Like I said, I write a web column on reality TV. Believe me, I'm not doing it 'cus I like the show!

(If you want to see some of the articles, search at RealityTVFans.com or Themestream.com. I get paid a couple pennies for each reader, so I can't give a direct link.)

If it's the latter, well, I gotta figure that the extended torture (to me, as a viewer) of TI makes it worse to watch than a quick death (to some other guy) by lethal injection.

[Edited by David B on 02-19-2001 at 05:18 PM]
Old 02-19-2001, 03:32 PM

David B, I don't think mentioning a schlock fantasy show, masquerading as "reality", such as TI, in the same sentence as an execution is clever, or relevant.

Yeah, TI is excrutiating in its banality etc. etc. But executions are not banal. Given the theoretical choice of watching male and female bimbos show their intelligence deficits, or watching a show featuring a man strapped down and receiving a lethal cocktail of chemicals into his body may seem obvious -- but this is reality.

And where one day the average viewer is treated to the sight of judicial euthanasia, the next time it could be "Old Sparky" as the star of the show.

Thanks, Persephone. It is the "slippery slope". I hope Americans never find themselves at the top of that particular ski run.
Old 02-19-2001, 04:06 PM
BANNED

cruel and unusual

only if he was eaten alive by ants.

the sadistic, Dal Timgar
Old 02-19-2001, 06:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Jeez, Ice Wolf, if ya can't joke about the taking of a human life, what can you joke about?
Old 02-19-2001, 06:43 PM

I personally find it very disgusting and sad that the United States punishes it's criminals by doing exactly what they are being punished for. "Do as I say, not as I do."
But I find it even more appalling at the number of people who would watch the taking of a human life on national TV.

The only time that I'm ashamed to be an American Citizen is when it comes to the death penalty. As a nation, I would hope that we would be above this barbaric and disgusting practice. Apparently, not only are we not above it, we also want to be there to see them "flip the switch", so to speak.
Old 02-19-2001, 07:59 PM

Aren't we one of the few (if not the only one) industrialized countries that still has the death penalty?
Old 02-19-2001, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Posted by David B
Jeez, Ice Wolf, if ya can't joke about the taking of a human life, what can you joke about?
I can joke about a lot of things, David. But not the death penalty.

However, I'll put in a just so's ya know I'm friendly. BTW -- you have to write about stuff like TI? This because you drew short straw or what?

(See? A jocus chucklus right there. Quick, you might miss it. }
Old 02-19-2001, 11:32 PM

Guinastasia, here's the list of death penalty retaining countries, according to Amnesty International (www.amnesty.org):

Quote:
Countries which retain the death penalty for ordinary crimes

AFGHANISTAN, ALGERIA, ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA, ARMENIA, BAHAMAS, BAHRAIN, BANGLADESH, BARBADOS, BELARUS, BELIZE, BENIN, BOTSWANA, BURUNDI, CAMEROON, CHAD, CHILE, CHINA, COMOROS, CONGO (Democratic Republic), CUBA, DOMINICA, EGYPT, EQUATORIAL GUINEA, ERITREA, ETHIOPIA, GABON, GHANA, GUATEMALA, GUINEA, GUYANA, INDIA, INDONESIA, IRAN, IRAQ, JAMAICA, JAPAN, JORDAN, KAZAKSTAN, KENYA, KUWAIT, KYRGYZSTAN, LAOS, LEBANON, LESOTHO, LIBERIA, LIBYA, MALAWI, MALAYSIA, MAURITANIA, MONGOLIA, MOROCCO, MYANMAR, NIGERIA, NORTH KOREA, OMAN, PAKISTAN, PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY, PHILIPPINES, QATAR, RUSSIAN FEDERATION, RWANDA, SAINT CHRISTOPHER & NEVIS, SAINT LUCIA, SAINT VINCENT & GRENADINES, SAUDI ARABIA, SIERRA LEONE, SINGAPORE, SOMALIA, SOUTH KOREA, SUDAN, SWAZILAND, SYRIA, TAIWAN, TAJIKISTAN, TANZANIA, THAILAND, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO, TUNISIA, UGANDA, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, UZBEKISTAN, VIET NAM, YEMEN, YUGOSLAVIA (Federal Republic), ZAMBIA, ZIMBABWE

I think the only countries comparable to the US are Japan and South Korea. Maybe.
Old 02-19-2001, 11:56 PM

To be fair, Ice and Guin, even if the US did abolish the death penalty for ordinary crimes (which I also wish we would do) and take ourselves off that list, McVeigh might still be executed; I'm not sure, but I think that the terrorist act he was guilty of was probably not covered by "ordinary crime" categories.
Old 02-20-2001, 12:07 AM

Sometimes I'm very afraid.

To think that the country I love finds it perfectly reasonable to kill its own citizens just for revenge.

That the citizens my country likes to kill for revenge are disporportionatly poor and minority.

That some of my neighbors are actually drooling with vindictiveness, wishing there was more blood involved.
Old 02-20-2001, 01:17 AM

Kimstu, McVeigh was tried in federal court and convicted of "using a weapon of mass destruction" and the murder of eight federal agents. This is an "ordinary" crime (with respect to those who died) because it was murder. Interestingly enough, he was not tried in Oklahoma for the other 160 deaths. That will be the fate of the associate once his federal sentence is up.

It's to be the first federal execition since 1963. Still doesn't make it that extraordinary -- just two different systems in your country, federal and state.

Extraordinary crimes are treason, crimes in wartime etc. Unfortunately, there are like as not quite a few countries prepared to kill those they consider traitor to the cause.

For those who want a bit more reading on the topic of the death penalty in America: http://www.web.amnesty.org/ai.nsf/index/AMR510201998
Old 02-20-2001, 01:32 AM

Ah. Thanks, Ice.
Old 02-20-2001, 08:32 AM

Quote:
No, I'd say it's more analagous to saying they should *watch* the criminal in jail. On TV.
Well, okay, as long as they had to watch him every day until he died.

Although we'd better shut up. Someone from the FOX programming department may be lurking.
Old 02-20-2001, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Am I for it? Definitely! Would I watch it? Probably not. I don't think putting McVeigh to sleep is a suitable punishment. He gave up the right to live when he killed 168 innocent people. Since some people should not be in society and you cannot guarentee they won't escape from prison like Ted Bundy did to kill again, what can you do with them?

I would like to be in Oklahoma City on the day of McVeigh's execution.

To quote Tom Paxton's "Bring Back The Chair"

The present rules could use revision.
Make the obvious decision.
Put it all on television.
Let's bring back the chair.
Slap a little make-up to them.
As the juices sizzle through them,
Geraldo Rivera could interview them.
Let's bring back the chair.

(Actually, it was originally Howard Cosell).
Old 02-20-2001, 09:05 AM

IMHO, no execution should ever be televised.
-- Dave Berry, "25 Things I Have Learned in 50 Years"
Old 04-05-2001, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PunditLisa
I sincerely doubt McVeigh feels any remorse. What little communication he gives is laced with contempt.

Would I watch? No. I don't watch boxing either, for much the same reason. However, if HBO wants to offer it as a Pay-Per-View, with the proceeds going to the victims' families, what the hell. We can't sink much lower than we have already, given the popularity of Jerry Springer and the WWF.

Do I think he deserves to die? Yes. Do I think he should be able to dictate the terms of his execution? No. He gave up his rights when he killed 138 people.
Actually, it was 168 people, only 8 of whom he's been tried of killing.

A quote from a book due out this week (week of 4/3/2001):
Quote:
[i]"I understand what they felt in Oklahoma City. I have no sympathy for them." -- Timothy McVeigh[i]
I guess he's actually admitting to the bombing now, which would've saved millions of dollars prosecuting the bastard had he confessed in the first place. That was probably his strategy: he wants to die a martyr to all those other sick puppies out there like him. Waco begets Oklahoma City begets Columbine High begets ... He wouldn't've been sentenced to death if he'd confessed.

His real sentence should've been life imprisonment, with his cell decorated with a wallpaper image of the fireman carrying out the fatally injured, blood-covered baby.
Old 04-05-2001, 10:16 AM

I'm reading American Terrorist right now. Although I do not for a second believe that McVeigh's execution should be televised--he just wants another 15 minutes for his despicable ideology--I would happily make popcorn and cheer his demise if it were.

Absolutely none of my objections to capital punishment apply in McVeigh's case. There's no question he did it, he had a more than adequate defense, and the man unquestionably poses a continuing threat to society. In those circumstances, I have no hesitation whatsoever in saying he should be executed, and I am not squeamish about the results of my beliefs on this subject.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

I am in favor of the death penalty.

Do I think McVeigh should be executed? No.

Why? Because he wants it.

While he was still fighting conviction I wanted him to die, because he didn't want it. Now I want him to live. No TV, books/magazines/computer access, no visitors, nothing. Meals, a simple bed, a toilet, and a bath maybe twice a week. That's it. Until he dies.