View Poll Results: Is the "Peanuts Theme" Christmas Music?
Yes 167 47.99%
No 181 52.01%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2013, 09:02 AM

Is the "Peanuts" theme (Linus and Lucy) Christmas Music?

The 24 hour Christmas Music Radio station and the piano player at the restaurant I was at last night think so. Do you?

Link here if you aren't sure what song I mean.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:13 AM

Although it has been played on other Peanuts specials including the Thanksgiving one, it's most closely association with "A Charlie Brown Christmas." Therefore, IMHO, it is Christmas music.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

You betcha sweet ass it is. Try listening to the opening bars and not thinking of the Peanust Christmas special. When network executives first saw the show, they wanted the soundtrack changed. Songwriter Vince Guaraldi and Charles Schultz flately refused, and the soundtrack is the best selling TV soundtrack ever.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
You betcha sweet ass it is. Try listening to the opening bars and not thinking of the Peanust Christmas special. When network executives first saw the show, they wanted the soundtrack changed. Songwriter Vince Guaraldi and Charles Schultz flately refused, and the soundtrack is the best selling TV soundtrack ever.
Vince was best known for his latin jazz, and L&L is, ironically, the only latin-flavored piece on the soundtrack.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
You betcha sweet ass it is. Try listening to the opening bars and not thinking of the Peanust Christmas special.
I do it all the time. It's not "Christmas music" IMO. "Christmastime is Here," yes, but not "Linus and Lucy." (I consider it more of "the Peanuts theme" than Christmas music. Of course, most people probably don't watch Peanuts specials besides ACBC and It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, whereas some of us can tell you (a) why "Charlie Brown's All-Stars" is anachronistic, and (b) the first Peanuts special with an actual adult voice:)

SPOILER:
(a) It was made back in the days when Little League specifically banned girls, going so far as to say, "If there is a girl on any team at any level in your league, don't bother sending a team to the tournament"

(b) Play it Again, Charlie Brown; at the end, when one of Lucy and Peppermint Patty is stuck without a musical group for the PTA meeting, the other pulls out a spray can and sprays it, and adult voices can be heard; the last line is something like, "PTA meetings now come in spray cans, too."
Then again, I keep hearing "I Wonder As I Wander", and I don't consider that Christmas music either (the second line makes it sound more like an Easter song than a Christmas one). The same goes for the "Hallelujiah!" chorus of Handel's "Messiah"; while you can make a case for the whole thing being Christmas music, "Hallelujiah!" refers specifically to his resurrection - again, Easter.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:27 AM

It's an instrumental from a children's Christmas classic. It's mostly heard only at Christmas time. Yep.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
It's an instrumental from a children's Christmas classic. It's mostly heard only at Christmas time. Yep.
First of all, it's not heard only at Christmas time -- I used to play it on my radio show years ago at my college radio station. But even if you were correct, keep this in mind: The Dreidel Song IS actually heard primarily around Christmas time. And I've never heard anyone ever claim that that's a Christmas song because of its proximity to Christmas. Hell, the Classic rock station around here always does a countdown show around Thanksgiving, to their inevitable number one song, "Stairway to Heaven", making a big to-do about it, making fun of the fact that the number 2 song never ever comes close, and I've never heard that being called a Thanksgiving song because it is featured on a Thanksgiving radio show.

What makes something a holiday song is it being about the holiday or some holiday tradition.

Last edited by Haldurson; 11-30-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldurson View Post
First of all, it's not heard only at Christmas time -- I used to play it on my radio show years ago at my college radio station. But even if you were correct, keep this in mind: The Dreidel Song IS actually heard primarily around Christmas time. And I've never heard anyone ever claim that that's a Christmas song because of its proximity to Christmas. Hell, the Classic rock station around here always does a countdown show around Thanksgiving, to their inevitable number one song, "Stairway to Heaven", making a big to-do about it, making fun of the fact that the number 2 song never ever comes close, and I've never heard that being called a Thanksgiving song because it is featured on a Thanksgiving radio show.

What makes something a holiday song is it being about the holiday or some holiday tradition.
Dreidel is a Hannukah song. What is your point about Dreidel? You played it?

Why didn't you ever tell us about your local thanksgiving countdown before? OK, I get it now. Stairway is a Thanksgiving song. Glad to have set that right. As long as it's a real local station, licensed by the FCC, that should do it.

L&L is an instrumental. So you are saying there can be no Christmas instrumental music?

The logic here is relentless. I can only lay down and murmur surrender.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:34 AM

Yes, it features prominently in one of my all-time favourite Christmas specials. I know it was used in the others - doesn't matter to me. This one's a Christmas song.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely, it's not even in question.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Lots of songs are associated with Christmas despite not really being Christmas songs. "Linus and Lucy" is far from the worst of these. Quick, somebody tell me what makes "Jingle Bell Rock" a Christmas song?
Old 12-14-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Lots of songs are associated with Christmas despite not really being Christmas songs. "Linus and Lucy" is far from the worst of these. Quick, somebody tell me what makes "Jingle Bell Rock" a Christmas song?
It's more a winter song, which also get play at Christmas (Let It Snow, Winter Wonderland, Frosty the Snowman, etc.), ESPECIALLY "Jingle Bells".

It does talk of "snowin' and blowin", "prancin' and dancin" (alluding to a couple of notorious reindeer), etc.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:58 AM

I don't think we have any "winter songs" that aren't "Christmas songs" in our culture, unless they're specifically other religious festival songs, like "The Chanukah Song." Cultural ooze, and a good argument for the secular nature of Santa-and-presents-Christmas, as opposed to the Christian Happy-Birthday-Jesus Christmas.

The Peanuts theme has a far stronger claim to being Christmas Music than "My Favorite Things," which I hear too often on Christmas music themed collections. Makes me stabby.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
The Peanuts theme has a far stronger claim to being Christmas Music than "My Favorite Things," which I hear too often on Christmas music themed collections. Makes me stabby.
Agreed.

Besides, Linus and Lucy was ostensibly the music for the "Christmas Show" Charlie Brown was trying to direct. It's not what he wanted, but it's what Schroeder kept playing.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey, "raindrops on roses," is a very Christmasy image!

...in New Zealand.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't think we have any "winter songs" that aren't "Christmas songs" in our culture, unless they're specifically other religious festival songs, like "The Chanukah Song." Cultural ooze, and a good argument for the secular nature of Santa-and-presents-Christmas, as opposed to the Christian Happy-Birthday-Jesus Christmas.

These lyrics are very specifically winter:Doorbells and sleigh bells ...
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs

Secular Winter song.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Realizing that this is a response to an OLD post (and not caring …).

The only one I can think of is very obscure. Spike Jones recorded "In the Winter" (in one of their rare "straight" recordings). The bass singer is Thurl Ravenscroft; a familiar voice if not a familiar name to most people. He is most noted for comments about the virtues of sugary breakfast cereal and the non-virtues of the Grinch.

SPOILER:
That's right. Metaphysically, it's Tony the Tiger commenting that "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch"

Perhaps it faded into obscurity because it didn't become associated with Christmas …
Old 11-30-2016, 12:53 PM

"Christmas music" is whatever makes you think of Christmas. If I'm hurrying through the mall on Christmas Eve and humming the theme to "Mission Impossible", then that can seem like Christmas music, at that moment, to me.

Now, if the title had been [Is the "Peanuts" theme (Linus & Lucy) only Christmas Music?"] then the answer would not be so contentious. But then, that's why "only" was left out and why we have such an enjoyable thread.

So, as the poll may be closing, get your votes in soon ...

dun dun dundun dun dun dundun dun dun dundun dun dun dundun diddleduuuuuuunn diddleduuuuuuunn diddleduuuuuuunn dudu dundun dududu - duduuUuuUuuUuuUuuU
Old 12-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Not explicitly, but, yes, I associate it with the holidays and Christmas. It almost always comes up on Christmas playlists.

Quote:
Quick, somebody tell me what makes "Jingle Bell Rock" a Christmas song?
It's a song that's lyrically about winter? It's as much a Christmas song as "Jingle Bells" is.

ETA: ninja'd

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-14-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:18 AM

I don't really associate the Peanuts theme with Christmas, but I am probably in the minority.

Now, the Peanuts classic Christmas Time is Here is just full of Christmas feels.

Last edited by Onomatopoeia; 12-14-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
I don't really associate the Peanuts theme with Christmas, but I am probably in the minority.

Now, the Peanuts classic Christmas Time is Here is just full of Christmas feels.
This is why I voted "No" in the poll.

Maybe because I heard "Linus and Lucy" in some other context not associated with Christmas long before ever seeing (or hearing) the Christmas TV shows, I just didn't pick up any Christmas vibe from it.

On the other hand, how can you avoid the Christmas connection with Christmas Time is Here?

Next to Frank Sinatra - The Christmas Waltz it's my favorite secular song of the season.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:09 AM
"Superstar"

Quote:

This is how I feel too. Doesn't help that the Peanuts theme is our hold music at work, so I hear it a lot year round.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

So, having watched it last nite, my vote is in. Theme- no. Christmas Time is Here- of course.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I don't either - I'm surprised to discover that so many people do. To me it's just the season-agnostic "Peanuts Theme."

Current poll results are very close to 50/50....

Last edited by brad_d; 12-03-2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added a sentence
Old 12-04-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Agreed. The main Peanuts theme is just that - the Peanuts theme (and they have a lot of non-Christmas related stuff). But the latter song immediately makes me think of A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Last edited by magnusblitz; 12-04-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:40 PM

I'm glad this thread has popped up again. Just a few days ago, I head Linus and Lucy form the first time in ages. Not as a Christmas tune - the date was not significant. It was a reminder of another context it comes up in constantly...or at least used to when I was a kid.

Commercials for Met Life. It might still be constant for all I know....I don't get GSN, where I saw the commercial, at home.

But, yeah...Linus and Lucy says life insurance before it says Christmas, to me.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

"Jingle Bell Rock" isn't even directly a winter song. The only reason it's even associated with winter is that the title and repeating lyric is a call-out to "Jingle Bells", which is a winter song.

Or to take a different approach to it, how is "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring", or Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" a Christmas song? The former is just a generically Christian song, and the latter is specifically an Easter song. Yet they have both become associated with Christmas.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
"Jingle Bell Rock" isn't even directly a winter song. The only reason it's even associated with winter is that the title and repeating lyric is a call-out to "Jingle Bells", which is a winter song.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Are we thinking of the same song with the same lyrics? There's lyrics of "snowing and blowing up bushels of fun", "dancing and prancing [...] in the frosty air," and "gliding in a one-horse sleigh." I mean, you don't need to know the reference of "jingle bells" to know it's about the winter.

Quote:
Or to take a different approach to it, how is "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring", or Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" a Christmas song? The former is just a generically Christian song, and the latter is specifically an Easter song. Yet they have both become associated with Christmas.
I don't think of those as Christmas songs. I actually did not realize they were associated with Christmas at all.

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-14-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about. Are we thinking of the same song with the same lyrics? There's lyrics of "snowing and blowing up bushels of fun", "dancing and prancing [...] in the frosty air," and "gliding in a one-horse sleigh." I mean, you don't need to know the reference of "jingle bells" to know it's about the winter.
I know, right? It even has a line that goes "Voices singing, let's be jolly. DECK. THE. HALLS...with boughs of hollyyyy."

Um, how is that NOT a song clearly about Christmas?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
I know, right? It even has a line that goes "Voices singing, let's be jolly. DECK. THE. HALLS...with boughs of hollyyyy."

Um, how is that NOT a song clearly about Christmas?
Gee, how best to put this?

That lyric is from "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree," not "Jingle Bell Rock."

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 12-15-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post

Oh, yeah...I knew that. I was just seeing if anyone would notice, that's all. Yeah...

Old 12-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post

"Snowing and blowing up bushels of fun
Now the jingle hop has begun

Dancing and prancing in Jingle Bell Square
In the frosty air.

Jingle bell time is a swell time
To go gliding in a one-horse sleigh
Giddy-up jingle horse, pick up your feet

Clearly at least a Winter song, which we play this time of year (oddly).

These are a few of my Favorite things is also considered a Winter song, due to:
Doorbells and sleigh bells ...
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs

but "Brown paper packages tied up with strings" isnt a Christmas reference.

Walking in a winter wonderland is not explicitly Christmas either.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:46 AM
BANNED

nm

Last edited by handsomeharry; 12-06-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:07 AM

It's that time of year. I thought I would revive this one more time for further discussion.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:06 AM

If "Die Hard" can be a Christmas movie, then "Linus and Lucy" can be a Christmas song.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
If "Die Hard" can be a Christmas movie, then "Linus and Lucy" can be a Christmas song.
Interestingly this question was kind of a sequel to that question.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Why wouldn't it be? It's indelibly connected with a Christmas special. "Your a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" makes no mention of Christmas, either.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

If you want it to be, it is.
~~Hunter S. Thompson
Old 12-14-2013, 12:18 PM

Yes, to me. "Skating" and "Christmastime is Here" even more so (the latter obviously so).
Old 12-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

I want a " it shouldn't be (by the lyrics), but it is in practice" option in the poll.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:15 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:

I never thought it would be a choice. That is the Peanuts theme. It was on a lot of other Peanuts specials not just the Christmas one. Christmas Time is Here is their Christmas Song.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:07 PM

Yes, but personally I have an even stronger association between Skating and Christmas, mainly because around this time every year I'm always trying to play it on the piano. One of these years I'll actually get it up to speed.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Yes, but personally I have an even stronger association between Skating and Christmas, mainly because around this time every year I'm always trying to play it on the piano. One of these years I'll actually get it up to speed.
Check out "Jitterbug Waltz" as a starting point, then work your way up LOL
Old 12-01-2016, 08:48 PM

The Simpsons also started with a Christmas special but no one associates their theme with Christmas.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:08 PM

I never thought it was. It even feels out of place to me on the Charlie Brown Christmas Album. Kind of like they threw in the generic Charlie Brown theme song as a bonus.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
I want a " it shouldn't be (by the lyrics), but it is in practice" option in the poll.
What lyrics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I never thought it would be a choice. That is the Peanuts theme. It was on a lot of other Peanuts specials not just the Christmas one. Christmas Time is Here is their Christmas Song.
It was written for the Christmas show and album.

Last edited by Labrador Deceiver; 12-14-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:35 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador Deceiver View Post

It was written for the Christmas show and album.
Actually, no.

"Named after the characters Linus and Lucy van Pelt, it was released in 1964 on the Vince Guaraldi Trio's album Jazz Impressions of a Boy Named Charlie Brown. A Charlie Brown Christmas introduced the song to a television audience of millions of children beginning in 1965. Since that special, the song has been included in most of the Peanuts specials."

http://christmas-specials.wikia.com/wiki/Linus_and_Lucy

It was not made for the Christmas special and it was used in almost all of the specials. If all you saw was the Christmas special I can see how you would think it is a Christmas song. If you saw all the other specials it sounds like a tv show theme song.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
It was not made for the Christmas special and it was used in almost all of the specials.
As well as the TV series.

So, yeah, it's 'the Peanuts song', not 'a Christmas song'.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Actually, no.

"Named after the characters Linus and Lucy van Pelt, it was released in 1964 on the Vince Guaraldi Trio's album Jazz Impressions of a Boy Named Charlie Brown. A Charlie Brown Christmas introduced the song to a television audience of millions of children beginning in 1965. Since that special, the song has been included in most of the Peanuts specials."

http://christmas-specials.wikia.com/wiki/Linus_and_Lucy

It was not made for the Christmas special and it was used in almost all of the specials. If all you saw was the Christmas special I can see how you would think it is a Christmas song. If you saw all the other specials it sounds like a tv show theme song.
Thanks for the correction, that's good to know. However, your final sentence is incorrect. I grew up watching all the Charlie Brown specials, and still think Linus and Lucy feels like Christmas music.

Last edited by Labrador Deceiver; 12-15-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
No wishy-washiness here! You have to commit