Old 11-22-2016, 01:33 PM

Who were the most famous people when you were growing up who have completely disappeared?

A waiting room I was in had a very old copy of People featuring Heidi Montag, and now there are so many teenagers who will never understand who she was or why she was so famous. I'm curious to take a trip down memory lane and remember all those celebrities who used to be so important.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:50 PM

Burt & Loni.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:57 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1505 View Post
Burt & Loni.
Farrah and Lee. Of course Farrah is dead now but she never reached that level of saturation that she did then.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Not really sure what the OP is getting at. Lots of the celebrities from my youth are retired or dead. Names like Tony Randall, Paul Lynde, or Christopher Lloyd might be losing hold on the public consciousness, but people of the present day would understand if we said they were in movies or TV. Are we looking for the inexplicably famous for being famous?

Charo
Art Linkletter
Susan Sontag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
... she never reached that level of saturation that she did then.
What exactly did you do with that poster?
Old 11-25-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Are we looking for the inexplicably famous for being famous?

Charo
Art Linkletter
Susan Sontag
You can't put Charo on a list like that without including Zsa Zsa, Willy Tyler and Lester, and Mummenschanz.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Art Linkletter
Before hosting his long-running TV series, he was a popular radio personality, so he was hardly just "famous for being famous." My parents certainly knew him from when he was on the radio.

I used to watch his show whenever I was home from school. It was actually pretty entertaining. He always started things off by interviewing some TV or movie star, like Robert Conrad or Jack Lord.*

*Look 'em up if you don't know who they are!
Old 11-25-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Before hosting his long-running TV series, he was a popular radio personality, so he was hardly just "famous for being famous." My parents certainly knew him from when he was on the radio.

I used to watch his show whenever I was home from school. It was actually pretty entertaining. He always started things off by interviewing some TV or movie star, like Robert Conrad or Jack Lord.*

*Look 'em up if you don't know who they are!
One of his most popular segments was when he was interviewing kids. He compiled several books of kids' remarks under the title "Kids Say the Darndest Things."
Old 11-25-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
....Are we looking for the inexplicably famous for being famous?

Charo
This was mentioned in another thread recently. Charo is hardly just famous for being famous. She's an exceptional flamenco guitar player, among other talents.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
This was mentioned in another thread recently. Charo is hardly just famous for being famous. She's an exceptional flamenco guitar player, among other talents.
She was arguably one of the top flamenco guitarists in the world. I'm not sure where she falls now, but even quite recently (the 2010s) she was still amazing. She's actually a protege of Andres Segovia, which doesn't get much more serious in the classical guitar world.

Last edited by jayjay; 11-25-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Farrah and Lee. Of course Farrah is dead now but she never reached that level of saturation that she did then.
Farrah Fawcett is a great example. At least from the perspective of a kid, she was more or less THE iconic face (and hair) of the 1970s, and was so in a way that I haven't seen since.

And she was really only famous for being on "Charlie's Angels" and a certain swimsuit poster.

Weren't Donny and Marie Osmond pretty famous for a while there too?
Old 11-23-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Farrah Fawcett is a great example. At least from the perspective of a kid, she was more or less THE iconic face (and hair) of the 1970s, and was so in a way that I haven't seen since.

And she was really only famous for being on "Charlie's Angels" and a certain swimsuit poster.
She's most famous for that, but interestingly though AFTER she became famous for"Angels", she proved that she was a genuinely talented actor in the off-Broadway play (and movie version of the play) "Extremities" and the TV movie "the Burning Bed." Sadly, everyone has forgotten that and only remembers the poster and "Angels".
Old 11-23-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post

Several years later, she played a battered wife who killed her husband in "The Burning Bed", which was an instant classic TV movie.

Doris Day is still alive and is in her 90s, and the Captain & Tennille were in the news recently because they announced that they were divorcing after more than 40 years of marriage. Daryl Dragon (the Captain) is in very poor health (IIRC Parkinson's) and so is Val Kilmer. Kilmer denies that he has cancer, but he does not look good in recent photos.

Rick Moranis scaled his career way back after his wife died, to concentrate on raising their children.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Several years later, she played a battered wife who killed her husband in "The Burning Bed", which was an instant classic TV movie.
Sure, but that was 1984, and she only passed away seven years ago. What did she do in the intervening quarter century?
Old 11-22-2016, 02:03 PM

I was stunned when my cousin's kids had no idea who Clark Gable was. He was just a little bit before my time, though.

About 25 years ago, I met a couple of teenagers who thought that Mel Brooks was the voice of Bugs Bunny. I might have been slightly impressed by the fact that they confused him with Mel Blanc, except that Blanc's death had been in the news not too long before.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:26 PM

I had to look up Heidi Montag, as I vaguely recognized the name, but had no idea who she was. Reality TV stars are, generally, among the most ephemeral of celebrities, save for the very few who managed to leverage it into something bigger. So, I don't find it surprising at all when their fifteen minutes of fame evaporate.

A lot of the people who were celebrities when I was growing up aren't in the public eye any more, largely because they're dead or retired.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:58 PM

I am, I suspect, older than you, since I had no idea who Heidi Montag is, and it certainly ain't because I'm too young.

My contribution: For about two years in the late 1970s, one of the hottest entertainment acts in the country was the husband and wife mime team of Shields and Yarnell. Apart from Marcel Marceau, it may be difficult to imagine a celebrity mime act. But trust me, for awhile there, Shields and Yarnell were everywhere. They guest-starred on everything from The Muppet Show to The Tonight Show to Wonder Woman, performed for presidents and Queen Elizabeth II, and even had their own variety show for about a month. But who remembers them now?

All celebrities will fade from the public consciousness eventually. But Shields and Yarnell are the only ones that I look back on from my childhood and wonder how they managed to get so famous in the first place. It's hard to imagine an act like that getting that sort of attention today.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
. But Shields and Yarnell are the only ones that I look back on from my childhood and wonder how they managed to get so famous in the first place. It's hard to imagine an act like that getting that sort of attention today.
Raymond J. Johnson Jr, was the one I found most hard to fathom how fame was ever achieved. S & Y, did have a talent, not one most would find entertaining, but they were good mimes.

But.
You don't have to call me Johnson, You can call me Ray, or you can cal me J, you can call me RJ... etc ad nauseam, But you doesn't have to call me Johnson
Old 11-22-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I am, I suspect, older than you, since I had no idea who Heidi Montag is, and it certainly ain't because I'm too young.

My contribution: For about two years in the late 1970s, one of the hottest entertainment acts in the country was the husband and wife mime team of Shields and Yarnell. Apart from Marcel Marceau, it may be difficult to imagine a celebrity mime act. But trust me, for awhile there, Shields and Yarnell were everywhere. They guest-starred on everything from The Muppet Show to The Tonight Show to Wonder Woman, performed for presidents and Queen Elizabeth II, and even had their own variety show for about a month. But who remembers them now?

All celebrities will fade from the public consciousness eventually. But Shields and Yarnell are the only ones that I look back on from my childhood and wonder how they managed to get so famous in the first place. It's hard to imagine an act like that getting that sort of attention today.
I was in HS and college in the late seventies, perhaps the prime years for Entertainment Awareness, and this act sounds quirky enough to have been especially appealing to my teenage self... and yet I'm sure that I never ran into them!

Last edited by Ulf the Unwashed; 11-22-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:

I'm totally with you on this.

I also remember around that time that there were famous people named Kelly Monteeth, and Randy Mantooth. I had never known such names existed but I thought there must be something going on somehow.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
The 1970s were the last hurrah for the TV variety show, and S&Y were part of that -- they made a lot of appearances on other variety shows before getting their own show. It was also the same era that the mime / puppet / mask group Mummenschanz was popular.

I also suspect that S&Y had a very good agent.

Lorene Yarnell was in Spaceballs -- she was the actress inside the Dot Matrix droid costume.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonacy View Post
I was stunned when my cousin's kids had no idea who Clark Gable was. He was just a little bit before my time, though.
I was shocked not long ago when none of the contestants on Jeopardy! (all thirty-something) could identify either Gregory Peck, Cary Grant, or Jimmy Stewart from their photographs!

My, my. How quickly we forget!
Old 11-22-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I was shocked not long ago when none of the contestants on Jeopardy! (all thirty-something) could identify either Gregory Peck, Cary Grant, or Jimmy Stewart from their photographs!

My, my. How quickly we forget!
Fifty something here, and while I know who these folks are I doubt I could've identified them from their photos either.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
Fifty something here, and while I know who these folks are I doubt I could've identified them from their photos either.
Your parents wouldn't let you watch movies when you were a kid?!?
Old 11-22-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I'm a 30-something and I couldn't identify Gregory Peck. Maybe if he were in a more popular Hitchcock movie.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
I'm a 30-something and I couldn't identify Gregory Peck. Maybe if he were in a more popular Hitchcock movie.
He was Atticus Finch. Doesn't everyone watch To Kill a Mockingbird in Freshman English when they read the book?
Old 12-05-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonacy View Post

About 25 years ago, I met a couple of teenagers who thought that Mel Brooks was the voice of Bugs Bunny. I might have been slightly impressed by the fact that they confused him with Mel Blanc, except that Blanc's death had been in the news not too long before.
The Fall of the Mighty: Clark Gable's grandson is the host of Cheaters, and was arrested a few years back for shining a laser pointer in a police chopper.

My offering (can't see if they've been mentioned yet)

1) Mandrell sisters
2) Jewel (the singer, not the shop)
3) S. Epatha Merkerson (sp?) - all I ever see her in since Law and Order is those cold pill commercials.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanthemanofchicago View Post
3) S. Epatha Merkerson (sp?) - all I ever see her in since Law and Order is those cold pill commercials.
Merkerson (that is in fact the correct spelling) has a regular role on Chicago Med, part of Dick Wolf's newer Chicago-based franchise.

I'm surprised that you, as a man of Chicago, didn't know that!

Last edited by MrAtoz; 12-05-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Merkerson (that is in fact the correct spelling) has a regular role on Chicago Med, part of Dick Wolf's newer Chicago-based franchise.

I'm surprised that you, as a man of Chicago, didn't know that!
Hmm - I love Chicago PD / Chicago Fire, but Med always seemed too soap-opera like for me to get into it.

And while she wasn't directly involved Beautiful is highly recommended
Old 11-22-2016, 02:00 PM

Cyndi Lauper
Old 11-22-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Cyndi Lauper
Really? I still see her doing concerts and popping up on talk shows so, while she's not as omnipresent as she seemed to be in the 80s, it's not like she's dropped off the face of the earth. A better example from the 80s would be Shelley Long (who, to my chagrin, I used to have a bit of crush on). In terms of where she was fame-wise when she left "Cheers", her career has fallen the hardest compared with the other cast members of the show. Even John Ratzenberger (Cliff) is still active doing Pixar movies and occasional guest shots.

Last FM Library Thing

Last edited by NDP; 11-22-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:53 PM

Shaun Cassidy was all over the place when I was growing up. Is he dead now?
Old 11-22-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Shaun Cassidy was all over the place when I was growing up. Is he dead now?
Nope. He moved into stage acting, then writing and producing TV series. He's still very active, but on the other side of the camera.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
Really? I still see her doing concerts and popping up on talk shows so, while she's not as omnipresent as she seemed to be in the 80s, it's not like she's dropped off the face of the earth.
She also won a Tony in 2013, for her score for "Kinky Boots," and has been a prominent activist for LGBT causes.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:58 PM

I don't believe I ever heard of Heidi Mnotag, and after a google search, can confirm that.

"So famous" doesn't seem to be accurate for this woman. "Sort of famous" maybe.

Still, I'll play:

Alan Alda and Mary Tyler Moore.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Still, I'll play:

I was going to suggest Alan Alda. I mean, I will always love him and follow his career, which more recently has included a role on The West Wing, hosting Scientific American Frontiers, and writing several books, but I'm fully aware that he isn't known the way he once was.

Back in the mid-seventies, pre-Internet, People Magazine used to have an annual readers' poll about celebrities. After the first few years, they had to change the format of the questions like this:

Other than Alan Alda, who is your favorite actor?

Other than Alan Alda, what celebrity would you most like to have dinner with?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Alda was nominated for a Tony for his starring role in a Broadway play as recently as 2005, and won an Emmy for his West Wing role in 2006; that's not exactly "complete disappearance". He's done more stage than film acting in recent years, but he's still definitely active.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:16 PM

Rick/Ricky Schroeder, who is now playing Dolly Parton's father in her movies.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Patricia Hearst

Bobby Riggs

Julie Nixon and David Eisenhower
Old 11-22-2016, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Donovan is appearing at our local PAC next week. He was all over the place in the 1960's, hailed as the new Dylan. I was amazed when I realized how long its been since I heard anything about him.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone ever done a better disappearing job than Johnny Carson after retirement?

Last edited by Grrr!; 11-22-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:05 PM

Morton Downey, Jr. (dead, I know, but still)

Morganna the Kissing Bandit

Charo

Phil Donahue

mmm
Old 11-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Saw this on ESPN the other night!

https://vimeo.com/107186315
Old 11-24-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
Saw this on ESPN the other night!

https://vimeo.com/107186315
I still have the pics from when she posed for Playboy. Hubba-hubba!

Last edited by terentii; 11-24-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

"Weird Girl" character actress Michelle Meyrink.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:

They were the subject of a joke on Futurama once, so not totally forgotten. I looked them up after reading your post; Lorene Yarnell died a few years ago, was only 66.

In a similar vein, I'd nominate Rod Hull, an English comedian whose act was to appear with a fake emu under his arm who would then proceed to wreak havoc. Something reminded me of him a year or so ago and I watched a show about him on youtube. Sounds like he wasn't terribly happy, being overshadowed by a puppet and all, and fell on rather lean times. Died in 1999 adjusting the TV aerial on his roof.

Sarah Holcombe is worth a mention as well. She appeared in four movies, two of them (Animal House and Caddyshack) were huge successes. Since Caddyshack, nothing.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:46 PM

Kristy McNichol, and "Mikey" from the Life cereal commercial.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
...."Mikey" from the Life cereal commercial.
He washed a packet of pop rocks down with a can of soda and the ensuing reaction caused his stomach to explode, killing him. Everyone knows that.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdo23 View Post
He washed a packet of pop rocks down with a can of soda and the ensuing reaction caused his stomach to explode, killing him. Everyone knows that.
Now really, why must you perpetuate these obviously false urban legends? Honestly...

Everybody really knows he grew up to be Marilyn Manson.

Last edited by CaptMurdock; 11-28-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Sarah Holcombe is worth a mention as well. She appeared in four movies, two of them (Animal House and Caddyshack) were huge successes. Since Caddyshack, nothing.
Chalk me up among those who'd never realized Sarah Holcomb was the same actress that was in both Animal House and Caddyshack. Both beloved movies so that says something about her acting abilities. Immediate guess was drugs, because of the times, but I found some hint of explanation here:

http://bobbyderailed.blogspot.ca/200...ah-smiles.html

Respecting her privacy, but my guess is that there are still many, many people who remember her fondly and wish her well.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:53 PM

Lots of examples I could dredge up if I cared enough, but for now:

Mike Judge had an extremely improbable cult hit with Beavis and Butthead, an overall-not-bad mainstream hit with King of The Hill...and that's pretty much it.

Arnold Schwarzenegger still gets minor roles, but his A-list and even B-list days appear to be long over. I actually haven't heard much of anything about him since his term as governor of California ended.

Frank Miller. If Holy Terror was as horrendous as I heard it was, that's no surprise.

Mike Tyson. When you have your own video game and get fantasy booked against Tony Mandarich and Royce Gracie, you know you're huge. Death spiral hit hard; now quietly teaches boxing to kids completely out of the spotlight, and that's apparently just how he likes it.

On the local level, Frank Delima was the Weird Al Yankovic of Hawaii, by far the most popular and best known comedian we've ever had (and he had some dead on song parodies!). Haven't heard anything about him for ages; the last thing I ever saw him in was a Wisteria commercial.

And while it was past my "growing up" time, I have to give a special mention to Bristol Palin. She used to be all over the damn place, and the right wing couldn't get enough of her. She almost won Dancing With The Stars, for crying out loud!