Old 12-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What Christmas standard do you not want to hear any more?

No novelty songs, please-Just the ones you hear every year on the radio.

For me, it's Madonna's sterile version of "Santa Baby". I much prefer Eartha Kitt's version.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:19 PM

I have never liked "Away in a Manger", by anybody.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:43 PM

Jingle Bell Rock has always been vomitous, in my opinion.

It's so frickin' white bread it sets my teeth grinding.

Last edited by Two Many Cats; 12-06-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Jingle Bell Rock has always been vomitous, in my opinion.
This is my first thought. It's only rock to people who would prefer Sinatra... and I actually see on Wikipedia that it originally charted as a country & western song.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

I've found a nice station (Vancouver's CISL) that doesn't play any really crappy Christmas music. No Shoes, their Grandma is the superior Irish Rovers version and isn't played all that often, etc.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-06-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

The very first Christmas song I heard this season was a smooth jazz version of Oh Come All Ye Faithful.

I don't like smooth jazz to start with, and if you're going to do Oh Come All Ye Faithful, then do it like this!

Last edited by kunilou; 12-06-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Feliz Navidad, may it and its author burn in hell for a million years.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Little Drummer Boy by anybody.

If there's a good version of this one, I haven't heard it. And yes, that includes Bing and Bowie, and Joan Jett's versions.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post

If there's a good version of this one, I haven't heard it. And yes, that includes Bing and Bowie, and Joan Jett's versions.
This. What a stupid concept for a song. let's see, you've been on the road forever, spent hours looking for a place to stay, squeezed out a baby, and finally got him to bed. Then some kid comes up and offers to play a drum solo, and you agree ? Please...
Old 12-06-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:

This!!!

Not that I'm all that fond of Xmas in the first place....
Old 12-06-2016, 07:15 PM

If I never hear that dumb "dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made it out of clay," again, it'll be too soon. No Jewish people actually sing that song at Hanukkah. The sole purpose of this song is to be a token for elementary school music teachers to stick in the "Holiday" pageant that includes 11 Christmas songs, and one rendition of "The Dreidel Song."
Old 12-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

The only version I like of that song is the one where it's performed as a mix with Bolero, which is fairly entertaining.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Then you have not heard this one!

Little Drummer Boy by corporal blossom.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

"Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" is the very definition of what is wrong with Christmas music.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:

As a male member of a choir, let me add that if I never have to say "puddly-pum" again, it will be too soon.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I've improved it by providing an alternate third verse that more accurately reflects the reaction of the mother of a newborn baby when somebody offers a drum lullaby as a baby shower gift:

(Shall I play for you, pa-rum-pa-pum-pum/On my drum?)

Mary nodded, pa-rum-pa-pum-pum
It was a secret sign, pa-rum-pa-pum-pum
Then Joseph took my arm, pa-rum-pa-pum-pum
He led me from the barn, pa-rum-pa-pum-pum,
Rum-pa-pum-pum, rum-pa-pum-pum

Then he smiled at me, pa-rum-pa-pum-pum
And fed me my drum...
Old 12-06-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I'll forever love that song for its association with the old Sesame Street Christmas that used to run every year (yet sadly seemed to stop long ago)

I pick Last Christmas by whatever pop tart covered it a few years back. I'm no huge fan of the Wham! version, but it doesn't bother me. This one is gag worthy atrocious (like most pop music of recent years) and should be the target of Krampus.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
I pick Last Christmas by whatever pop tart covered it a few years back.
Preach it.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
I pick Last Christmas by whatever pop tart covered it a few years back. I'm no huge fan of the Wham! version, but it doesn't bother me. This one is gag worthy atrocious (like most pop music of recent years) and should be the target of Krampus.

You're going to have to be more specific than that...

The song I hate above all others is "Christmas Time is Here." I have to change the station whenever it's on. I loathe it.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
You're going to have to be more specific than that...

The song I hate above all others is "Christmas Time is Here." I have to change the station whenever it's on. I loathe it.
You really mean Vince Guaraldi's tune from Charlie Brown?
Old 12-07-2016, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
Actually, that's just about the only Christmas song I like. It's one of the only ones that expresses (musically, not in the lyrics) the bittersweet feeling a lot of people have at this time of year. But I much prefer the instrumental version to any version with voices, and I could certainly see how the original sung one from the sound track would grate on one's nerves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. It's just so pervy.
I have no love for the song, but what's pervy about it?

The point is that the kid doesn't realize it was daddy dressed up as Santa, right?
Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This one is WAAY overplayed because, you know, diversity. And I hate all Mexican brass music enough that I'd support a global embargo on copper to Mexico.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh yes. This. I hate that song.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Seconded and then some. My coworkers have been notified that I will not be responsible for my actions if this song comes on the radio and said radio is not immediately silenced.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer2575 View Post
Seconded and then some. My coworkers have been notified that I will not be responsible for my actions if this song comes on the radio and said radio is not immediately silenced.
Feliz Navidad joins my list of "I dont mind hearing it once...just once... a year. "

On a regular rotation, played every hour....
Old 12-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
The very first Christmas song I heard this season was a smooth jazz version of Oh Come All Ye Faithful.

I don't like smooth jazz to start with, and if you're going to do Oh Come All Ye Faithful, then do it like this!
Oh, I really thought that was going to link to the Twisted Sister version.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:36 PM

The Twelve Days of Christmas. Any song where people commonly make it into a joke because of how long it takes to sing the chorus? Not a good song.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
The Twelve Days of Christmas. Any song where people commonly make it into a joke because of how long it takes to sing the chorus? Not a good song.
I like the Bob and Doug Mckenzie version:
4 Turtle Necks
3 french toasts
2 Turtle Necks
And a bee e er in a tree.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:36 PM

Any incarnation of THE FIRST NOEL. Especially if it's part of a vesper or church service I'm attending and have to sing along to. Hate.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMogul View Post
Any incarnation of THE FIRST NOEL. Especially if it's part of a vesper or church service I'm attending and have to sing along to. Hate.
Our hymnal lists this one as "The First Nowell". Every time I hear it, I sing along "Where in the hel-el is I-is-RYE-el?"

For me, it's Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree. Despise that song. It's so nice to go into stores on Dec. 26 and not hear Christmas music.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Our hymnal lists this one as "The First Nowell". Every time I hear it, I sing along "Where in the hel-el is I-is-RYE-el?"
Whenever I hear it, I think of Chicago:

No El, no El!
Ah, so I'll take a streetcar!
Old 12-06-2016, 05:52 PM

I've been occasionally tuning in to the local "all-Xmas music" station. Two of my least favourites so far this year have been "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" (my Xmas doesn't usually include ghost stories or toasting marshmallows) and "It's A Marshmallow World" (way too saccharine for my taste). I don't mind "Walking In A Winter Wonderland" in general, but it's been played way too frequently on the station in question so I'm sick of it by now.

My least favourite Xmas song of all time is probably "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas". That fake "widdle kid" singing just puts my teeth on edge. Luckily I haven't heard it so far this year.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
<snip>

My least favourite Xmas song of all time is probably "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas". That fake "widdle kid" singing just puts my teeth on edge. Luckily I haven't heard it so far this year.
I've been meaning to ask where this fucking ear poison came from. Is it from a movie or something? It feels like it's supposed to sound retro but I'm sure I would have heard it before. Fuck off; hippopotamus girl. I hope you get one and it sits on you.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I've been meaning to ask where this fucking ear poison came from. Is it from a movie or something? It feels like it's supposed to sound retro but I'm sure I would have heard it before. Fuck off; hippopotamus girl. I hope you get one and it sits on you.
If it helps... it was sung by a real child, and dates back to the 50's when it was released like any other single back then. So it's authentically childish and authentically retro... but still fucking ear poison.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoi View Post
If it helps... it was sung by a real child, and dates back to the 50's when it was released like any other single back then. So it's authentically childish and authentically retro... but still fucking ear poison.
I've always loved it myself, but then for years I knew it only as a weird old song that I'd hear once a year, if that, on the Dr. Demento show. I always assumed it was an obscurity and was surprised to learn that it was actually a hit in the '50s. I think its latter-day revival stems from its use in a 1998 Christmas episode of Ally McBeal.

Now "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" should never have existed and needs to be banned forever.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:24 PM

Feliz Navidad made it so Jose Feliciano never had to work again and that's OK with me. More a novelty song but I count it as a good holiday season if I get through without hearing "Snoopy and the Red Baron Christmas"

And as for the "Little Drummer Boy", you could have given him the effing drum, you moron.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
My least favourite Xmas song of all time is probably "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas". That fake "widdle kid" singing just puts my teeth on edge.
That song was sung by a 10-year-old girl named Gayla Peevey. I like it mostly because of the hearty, full-throated way she belts it out. Pretty damn good singing for a 10-year-old kid.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:41 AM

Not what I'd call "standards", but these get played a lot on the pop stations that go to all-Christmas formats, and they are *not* Christmas songs:

Last Christmas (Wham!, and any and all covers)
Same Old Lang Syne (Dan Fogelberg)
My Favorite Things (from The Sound of Music)

Also, while it's a Christmas song, "Wonderful Christmastime," by Paul McCartney, needs to just go away, because it's an awful song.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 12-07-2016 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Also, while it's a Christmas song, "Wonderful Christmastime," by Paul McCartney, needs to just go away, because it's an awful song.
Quoted for truth! That song is right up there with Santa Baby and The Little Drummer Boy for me in terms of songs I hate.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been occasionally tuning in to the local "all-Xmas music" station. Two of my least favourites so far this year have been "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" (my Xmas doesn't usually include ghost stories or toasting marshmallows) and "It's A Marshmallow World" (way too saccharine for my taste).

My least favourite Xmas song of all time is probably "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas". That fake "widdle kid" singing just puts my teeth on edge..
Have you noticed that those all-Xmas music" stations really up the number of ads?

I do dislike "It's A Marshmallow World".

I do like "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas", but not in common rotation. It's nice heard a couple of times, but not over & over. Little Drummer Boy by Bing & Bowie is another song like that.

I despise "Grandma got..." and it is in rotation, same hate with "The Christmas Shoes" ... which at least I havent heard this year.

"All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth" is a song I want to hear exactly once per season.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Two of my least favourites so far this year have been "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" (my Xmas doesn't usually include ghost stories or toasting marshmallows).
That's a British thing. There was a long tradition of telling ghost stories at Christmas in England (think A Christmas Carol with it's 4 ghosts, or the M.R. James ghost stories released each Christmas in England.) It seems odd to Americans, but I think the British are a naturally macabre people.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:54 PM

Little Saint Nick, only because "Christmas comes this time each year" is the worst lyric ever.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:56 PM

Baby, it's cold outside. Not one more time, please. I don't care if Ella Fitzgerald is singing it, I don't want to hear it again. This year they're playing it every other song.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Baby, it's cold outside. Not one more time, please. I don't care if Ella Fitzgerald is singing it, I don't want to hear it again. This year they're playing it every other song.
Local station just played a version with Michael Buble and Miss Piggy...and didn't even apologize afterwards.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 12-07-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Local station just played a version with Michael Buble and Miss Piggy...and didn't even apologize afterwards.
That's from the skit on The Muppet Show where Miss Piggy was trying to yank Buble's towel off in the steam room:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EJ1SBAO1HU
Old 12-06-2016, 05:59 PM

Holly Jolly Christmas.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Holly Jolly Christmas.
Ok, I know I already posted but this is was what I meant to comment on before I got sidetracked by the goddamn hipppo song.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:03 PM

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

Oh god I cringe every time I hear it. I haaaaaaaaate that song
Old 12-07-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

Oh god I cringe every time I hear it. I haaaaaaaaate that song
Same here ! I hate this time of year now that I am older !
Old 12-06-2016, 06:32 PM

Christmas Don't Be Late by Alvin & the Chipmunks. Thankfully I haven't heard it in a few years.